Questions about my baby sulcata

PRguy

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
Hi everyone,

I recently was given a 2 weeks old baby sulcata. I am located in Puerto Rico. I have read a lot about the species care but I still would like to ask more questions because I want to do this the right way.

I am aware that sulcatas dig holes to escape the heat, however, I have noticed that this baby would dig a hole where the lamp is located. I wonder why? his cage is pretty big and he has a shaded area, he's also exposed to sunlight throughout the day (but not at all times).

I notice during the day he goes away from the lamp and stays in the shaded area, however, around 5:30/6:00 pm he goes under the lamp and dig a little hole in the corner and stays there all night. Is this normal? why would he dig a hole to escape heat right where the lamp is instead of going to the shaded area where is cooler? Am I missing anything?

Also, Puerto Rico is hot all year around, does he really needs the lamp to stay on all day? Our temp. ranges from the 70s to over 90's degrees C. Sometimes when it rains it gets cooler, the temperature at night ranges around high 70's sometimes. PR is very humid and warm. What would be the best setup for him in these conditions?

Even though he has access to sunlight due to the location where he is, he doesnt like it that much and goes back to the shaded area or to the lamp. I wonder if hes getting enough UV light, he stays close to the sunlight but not for a long period of time, would that be enough?

Here is a picture. YOu an see the see the enclosure and how he digged the corner. He stays in that corner all night and wont move from there! I turn off the lamp around 8pm, is this ok>?

Sorry if i asked too many questions but I am trying doing the right thing by him.

THanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_9158.jpeg
    IMG_9158.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9159.jpeg
    IMG_9159.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Welcome! Do you have a temp/humidity gauge in there? Also you should give him a hide

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
They sometimes like to find a corner to sleep in.. mine used to do the same unttill he realized his hide was there

PRguy

Puerto Rico
They sometimes like to find a corner to sleep in.. mine used to do the same unttill he realized his hide was there

Thanks for your help. I went to Petsmart to buy the thermometer. Temp. where the lamp is (where he is right now, in the corner) is 100 f. The other side where the shade is the temp is 80. humidity on both sides is 60%. I bought him a hide as you said. he had one, a plastic one but I never saw him using it. I bought a wood hide, lets see if he likes this one more. thanks for your help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California