Questions about my new baby Greek

boomerdog121

So I received my baby in the mail on Thursday and he/she is still settling in. One question I have is how long will it take for him to settle in and start eating? Because he hasn't eaten very much since he's gotten here. Another question I have is how long will his egg tooth stay on for? The breeder I got him from said that he's around two months old.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't know about hatchlings but for an adult tort it could take up to a couple of weeks - if that's any point of reference. How's your baby doing now?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Have we seen pictures of your enclosure? What are your four temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

I always suggest establishing a routine to settle a new tort:

- Have the lights come on using timers so they come on and off at the same time each day
- Soak first thing, before your tort has warmed up properly, for at least 20 minutes in warm water.
- Tidy up the enclosure and place food
- Replace your tort and walk away leaving it to get on with things unobserved.

You are big, scary and intimidating at the moment. Your tort will learn that you're the provider of yummy food, but some take considerably longer than others. It's important to soak daily if your tort is not eating properly.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So I received my baby in the mail on Thursday and he/she is still settling in. One question I have is how long will it take for him to settle in and start eating? Because he hasn't eaten very much since he's gotten here. Another question I have is how long will his egg tooth stay on for? The breeder I got him from said that he's around two months old.

Do not worry: torts do not like change, therefore they take time to adapt to a new environment. Sorry; cannot tell you how long.

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure? By the way, I have had a Greek tort for 5.5 years, and I LOVE him!