Questions about redfoot humidity

redgg

Location (City and/or State)
tri cities washington
I’m seriously considering acquiring a Redfoot tortoise. I’ve been doing enough research I think I’ve got a decent grasp on how to raise one. However I do have several questions about the humidity I need an opinion on before I commit to one.

So I know redfoots are tropical torts and need lots of humidity. I also know when their young they need even more humidity. The problem im going to have is that I live in southeast Washington where its super dry, the humidity in the summer usually hangs around 30%. I know I can build a box, put the tortoise in it and I will be able to regulate the humidity just fine for him. My first question is, if I take him out and say, watch him explore the yard or the living room for a little bit how quickly is this super dry air going to affect him?

And second. And how do the humidity requirements change as this animal ages? I can see letting him live in his box for a few years if i need to but I really don’t want to confine the animal to a box for decades because I live in a dust bowel and cant control the humidity correctly, id rather pick a different animal that would be better suited to the dry climate.

Third question which ties into the first one, which is probably the one I’m most interested in. as the tortoise gets older, I know their care requirements change, specifically they don’t need that super high baby humidity. I want to build some kind of enclosure in the backyard so he has more room to do tort stuff. Can I provide enough humidity with a sprinkler? Maybe a mister? Will it even be possible?

i know this was a big read but im very paranoid about messing up after browsing different websites and being scared for life by some of the inhumane pictures ive seen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't keep RFs because my area is too hot and dry.

In your area, you'd need to mostly house it inside due to your weather most of the year. Since this is the case, you can make a large closed chamber to maintain the needed humidity, or convert a whole room for an adult. Outdoors with sprinklers and misters in hot weather for those 2 or 3 hot months would work too, but not be ideal. It would take more effort and expense than other species with lower adult humidity needs.

How about hermanni? Marginated? Burmese stars? Leopards?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot will need high humidity and warmth for every stage of life.
An adult will require a 10x10' enclosure at a minimum in my opinion. A constant 82 degrees and humidity around 70%.
Outdoors, if warm enough, a simple sprinkler on a garden hose can "tropical" things up a bit
I'm also an advocate for keeping species that make sense for your situation.
Not that you can't keep a tropical tortoise outside of the tropics. Many people do.
It just requires a lot more work.

khaiqha

texas
I've been logging the temps and humidity of my outdoor enclosures in texas and it hasn't been too hard to maintain humidity.

1) I have a lot of plants. Clover, grass, hibiscus, etc.

2) I have a lot of mulch and moss.

3) I water once to twice a day the area.