Questions about shipping my tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Those totes I linked are not flimsy. I know people who have shipped 50-75 lb. Aldabras and sulcatas in them. One of them is more than adequate and perfectly safe for shipping two 10" Radiated Tortoises. Anytime I have shipped more than one tortoise in such a container, I have fabricated partitions to keep the animals separated and protected from any injuries or shell damage.

Also, when using dog crates, the dog crates must be "airline approved" to be acceptable to Delta as I mentioned in my earlier post, so one bought off Craig's list may or may not meet the airline requirements, and an unaware shipper could be turned away on the day of shipping if the wrong type crate is presented and Delta does not have one available for sale at the time.
I may not have come across the totes you're talking about and sure hope they don't just buy any tote as the same could happen with the totes as with the dog crates. However the dog crates say if they are the airline approved ones.
I missed the part where you say you seperate the tortoises with a partion or it wasnt mention.
Everyone will have their preference and as long as they are sturdy enough and properly packed it should all work. I like the dog crates as the animal can be seen without any one opening anything. I feel if they see the animal, when possible, not only is it easier to see stress but they are in awe of the animal and maybe will take better care to not toss it around, hopefully.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Thank you guys for the help! I just wanted to give an update and let you know that I successfully shipped the tortoises using Ship Your Reptiles. I was hesitant to ship using Fedex, however I wasn't left with much of a choice because I couldn't get the tortoises on a Delta Flight. I ended up using a very large insulated shipping box and I dropped the tortoises off at the Fedex shipping center at the Tucson airport right before the last flight to New York. They arrived at my Fedex location at 9:00 am, so in total they were in Fedex's hands for about 13 hours overnight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you guys for the help! I just wanted to give an update and let you know that I successfully shipped the tortoises using Ship Your Reptiles. I was hesitant to ship using Fedex, however I wasn't left with much of a choice because I couldn't get the tortoises on a Delta Flight. I ended up using a very large insulated shipping box and I dropped the tortoises off at the Fedex shipping center at the Tucson airport right before the last flight to New York. They arrived at my Fedex location at 9:00 am, so in total they were in Fedex's hands for about 13 hours overnight.
Good to hear it went well!!