questions about traveling tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
We own property in AZ and minimum 2 times a year, my husband, son and I are there for 7-10 days. My 17 year old daughter does not go with us, but we take the dog because we are concerned she forgets to feed her. The neighbor's son comes over and feeds the RES and checks the bird and cat's food, I know (for my peace of mind) I cannot entrust the kids (Fred and Doris) to him and I can't leave them without adult supervision for that long. Fred is becoming adventurous - climbing, and eating everything in sight.

I am thinking about building an almost identical turtle table there and leaving it in place. The question is will it get "weird" or is there a problem with it being unused for a few months at a time? I would clean out water, food, etc when they leave. When they are older/bigger I will have an outdoor enclosure there for them, but they don't get to retire/move there until I do.

Also what is the best container/atmosphere to transport them for 4 hrs (shortest drive time)-8 hrs (longest time for drive) in the car?

I thought about posting this under debatable topics because I have seen opinions/conversations on both sides.

Dawna

M

Maggie Cummings

I have traveled a lot with my personal animals and in the act of running for a rescue and I have discovered that a small dark container is the best. Small enough so they can move a little but not so big that they can do too much scrambling and tip upside down. If it's dark they mostly just sleep. I have what we used to call Bob's Motel 6 box, made out of wood with a hinged lid. Unfortunately for me Bob has out grown his Motel 6, and he is also too big for my IROC.:p...but small and dark is the best. If you are moving tortoises make the bottom drip proof. You could line the bottom of a cardboard box with a plastic garbage bag, and cover that with newspaper. Don't use towels as their claws will get caught in the material and they can wrap the towels around and choke. Take a roll of paper towels to clean up the presents they will leave for you about 50 miles into the trip. Don't worry about food or water until you get there. HTH
I should have made it clear that you want the garbage bag outside the box so the animal isn't tearing off pieces and eating plastic...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
We have a long bed pick up and an expedition, so it will be a little while before they out grow the vehicles. :D But I will consider that when I build them a traveling box. I like the wood with a hinged lid. Thank you for the response.

Dawna

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I agree 100% with Maggie's suggestions. Just add a couple more things...pack air freshener to go too! And a bottle of hand sanitizer or wipies to clean your hands after cleaning up poop!
Good luck
Patsy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
The kids are only 15 mos old DT, so my husband and the dog smell worse than they would on the drive. hehehehe. But those are good suggestions for their traveling kit. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dawna: Be sure no one knows what you have in the kids' traveling box, as it is illegal to take California tortoises across the state line, even though you are going to an area where the same kind of tortoise naturally occurs. You don't want them to be confiscated or for you to get into trouble.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Adding on to the other suggestions is to be sure you place them some place where neither too much sunshine (heat) or cold drafts (like from the air conditioner) can blow onto them. Temps factors are also something to consider if you stop to eat, have mechanical breakdown, and sometimes even a fuel stop.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Jacqui said:
Adding on to the other suggestions is to be sure you place them some place where neither too much sunshine (heat) or cold drafts (like from the air conditioner) can blow onto them. Temps factors are also something to consider if you stop to eat, have mechanical breakdown, and sometimes even a fuel stop.

Thanks for the reminders. I will remember that. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.