Questions for the keepers of the Reds and/or the Yellows

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
So I am doing my research, I have a Sulcata but in the future plan to also keep Redfoot and Yellofoot tortoises, I have a few questions for u keepers.. First is I know there are a few different species of both, there are redfoots, cherry heads and then the larger species of redfoot, can't spell the name and then theres yellow foot and then the larger species of the yellowfoot, these are the different species I've read of so far.. is there a personality difference between the species? Is there a species that does not do well in groups? Also I've read that yellowfoots are a more delicate species and only for the more advanced keepers, but that redfoots are suitable for beginners and that both redfoots and yellowfoots can be kept together and under the same care, thats kind of confusing, can anyone clear that up?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
''IS THERE A PERSONALITY DIFFERENCE ''?
I think not they are very similair species yellowfoots are a little bit smaller i believe.

I think they can live there days together it is like asking can an american and english man live together?
They are extremely similair but are of course individuals...tortoise are solitary animals,
they are okay kept in a group off a ratio 3females to 1male i believe.
They also dont mind being alone.
Hope this helps! :p

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
From my understanding male cherryheads and male southern redfoots may have trouble with other males.

In general, I've heard most owners frown on any interspecies mingling. I'm not sure how true this holds for Cherryheads, Redfoots, and Yellowfoots.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Yes ma'am, thank u.. Its going to be awhile but in the future I plan to buy a pair of hatchings, one yellowfoot and one redfoot, probably a cherryhead, then when they are of a sexable size I can purchase mates for each, or if male purchase a few mates for each lol, I dont want to make a career of breeding but do one day hope to have breeding pairs, I would love to experience the incubation of eggs, watching em hatch then starting off my hatchlings, that would be a wonderful experience, long down the road after I have gained much knowledge and experience

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
nikki0601 said:
So I am doing my research, I have a Sulcata but in the future plan to also keep Redfoot and Yellofoot tortoises, I have a few questions for u keepers.. First is I know there are a few different species of both, there are redfoots, cherry heads and then the larger species of redfoot, can't spell the name and then theres yellow foot and then the larger species of the yellowfoot, these are the different species I've read of so far.. is there a personality difference between the species? Is there a species that does not do well in groups? Also I've read that yellowfoots are a more delicate species and only for the more advanced keepers, but that redfoots are suitable for beginners and that both redfoots and yellowfoots can be kept together and under the same care, thats kind of confusing, can anyone clear that up?

There is a link about some of this at the Library-
Red-foot races- http://tortoiselibrary.com/aboutrf2.html
'Cherry-heads'- http://tortoiselibrary.com/easternrf.html

Basically, there are between 2 and 7 'kinds' of Red-foots, although this is not really 'official'. At the most basic, there is the 'Northern' and 'Southern'- the quickest difference is the plastron- mostly light (Northern) or mostly dark (Southern).

According to DNA, the northern group is further divided to the Northeast (Venezuela east- most Red-foots are from this group), Northwest (Panama to Venezuela), and Northern (Columbia). {Forgive the overlapping names- I did not make them up.]

The southerns are divided into the Eastern (Brazil, 'cherry-heads') and the Southern (Paraguay and Bolivia- these are often large)

There are no known separate groups of Yellow-foots.

Yellow-foots are indeed considered more sensitive or delicate, requiring more careful management of temps and humidity. Red-foots do well in this sort of set-up, but also do perfectly well in a wider range of temps and humidities- and the Easterns are even more hardy in general.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
It is a wonderful experience! Just keep in mind that those hatchling grow into just as big torts, so you're either gonna need a ton of space or come to terms with the fact that you'll have to part with some.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I am young and do plan on purchasing more land, as it stands my back almost 3 acres belongs to my Sulcata, and if I add another that will suitable with him or her once he is grown, we will see.. In the front I have an acre to give to my future redfoots/yellowfoots, lol then I'm out of space, I am currently raising my first hatchling Sulcata, I prepared for him for months, doing my research, building his enclosure, testing it out to be sure I could maintain proper temps and humidity, lol, my family thought I was crazy for a week turning on lights on everyday and night, watching an empty enclosure, but I made sure I was ready for him, I did run into an issue as I had purchased cypress mulch only to find out it was a blend and not knowing the blend at the last min I was revamping my substrate and my hatchling was on his way, but I managed and he is doing great.. I will be more perpared when it comes time that I am ready for another tortoise, thats why I'm doing my research now

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Bonifay??? You mean near Chipley, Mossy Head and Marianna?
I love that part of the state.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Yep, thats Bonifay, cant believe anyone has heard of it, bout half the size of Chipley, lol

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
nikki0601 said:
Yep, thats Bonifay, cant believe anyone has heard of it, bout half the size of Chipley, lol

I've been canoeing/diving the Chipola River for nearly 30 years and had a great aunt who lived in Marianna forever. I also like that part of the state because unlike south Florida, the panhandle has What-A-Burger which is several orders of magnitude better than Burger King, Wendy's, Steak and Shake or McDonald's.

You should be able to keep red-foots outdoors there for most of the year but you must be sure and protect your tortoises from the raccoons, 'possums and coyotes.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
cdmay said:
nikki0601 said:

I've been canoeing/diving the Chipola River for nearly 30 years and had a great aunt who lived in Marianna forever. I also like that part of the state because unlike south Florida, the panhandle has What-A-Burger which is several orders of magnitude better than Burger King, Wendy's, Steak and Shake or McDonald's.

You should be able to keep red-foots outdoors there for most of the year but you must be sure and protect your tortoises from the raccoons, 'possums and coyotes.

Sounds to me like your getting hooked on torts. Its easy to split up your yard, I think your gonna need to do this because torts are like crack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.