Questions from a new sulcata owner

Chompski

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi, i already rode some care sheets but there are some of the things that i still wondered about my sulcata.

I owned my sulcata for a bout 1 week now, there are some things that kind of worry me.
Sometimes there's bubble in my sulcata noise, but it isnt gasping for air. Is it a red flag or just nah?
My tortoise never been soaked, i put it on a cage with UV bulb on it most of the time in day, i put it on sunscreen every morning, it ate a lot (7-10 pellet a day), it was about 6cm big, it moves a lot, a lot of times i put it on bigger place and it ran quite fast.

Also it maybe weird but my sulcata only want to ate the red colored pellet, i rode that sulcata can see only red colour.

If it's something like a flu/RI, can i just gave it a medicine on my own? I try to see my local amazon and found these :
1111.png

I really do not want to take it to the vet, since there arent vet that i would trust for a turtoise near me.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi, i already rode some care sheets but there are some of the things that i still wondered about my sulcata.

I owned my sulcata for a bout 1 week now, there are some things that kind of worry me.
Sometimes there's bubble in my sulcata noise, but it isnt gasping for air. Is it a red flag or just nah?
My tortoise never been soaked, i put it on a cage with UV bulb on it most of the time in day, i put it on sunscreen every morning, it ate a lot (7-10 pellet a day), it was about 6cm big, it moves a lot, a lot of times i put it on bigger place and it ran quite fast.

Also it maybe weird but my sulcata only want to ate the red colored pellet, i rode that sulcata can see only red colour.

If it's something like a flu/RI, can i just gave it a medicine on my own? I try to see my local amazon and found these :
View attachment 251564

I really do not want to take it to the vet, since there arent vet that i would trust for a turtoise near me.
Your tortoise is in a cage and you put sunscreen on it? Please show us a picture of your tortoise and enclosure. I'll send you the usefull care sheets in case you have not read them already.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello and welcome.. you should definitely soak your tortoise.. this is key to his hydration!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Please read this ASAP
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

What are your temps? Basking spot, night, and coolest part of the enclosure?

What is your humidity?

Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

You need to be soaking your tortoise daily in warm water.

Chompski

Indonesia
Welcome to the forum!
Please read this ASAP
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

What are your temps? Basking spot, night, and coolest part of the enclosure?

What is your humidity?

Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

You need to be soaking your tortoise daily in warm water.

Oh i need to soak it? I always put water in the dish though. Thanks for the information.
I lived in somewhat tropical place in asean, so at most the temp here without lamp is around 77-80ish fahrenheit and that's even when it's rain and it almost never rain here.
I'll post the picture of it's enclosure in the morning, how soak does it need to be with warm water? Like half of it;s body?
Your tortoise is in a cage and you put sunscreen on it? Please show us a picture of your tortoise and enclosure. I'll send you the usefull care sheets in case you have not read them already.
I mean every morning at least for 30minute i put it outdoor and let sunscreen on it, i watched it and play with it at those time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 251564

The nose bubble is an indicator of a respiratory infection. Your tortoise needs heat and it needs it right now. How are you heating and lighting the tortoise?

Your tortoise needs to be soaked every day.

What type of UV bulb are you using? How close is the bulb to the tortoise?

The colored pellets are not a good torte diet. Please read the care and feeding sheets that have been linked here for you for info about what to feed your tortoise.

Sulcatas can see red, but they can see other colors too. They have better vision than we do.

Unless you have the correct medicine (The medicine in your picture is not the correct one…), and you know 100% for sure how to correctly dose it, you should not be attempting to medicate your own tortoise with out vet supervision.

It would hep us to advise you if we knew where in the world you are. We don't need your address, just a general idea. "Nope" is not helpful.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh i need to soak it? I always put water in the dish though. Thanks for the information.
I lived in somewhat tropical place in asean, so at most the temp here without lamp is around 77-80ish fahrenheit and that's even when it's rain and it almost never rain here.
I'll post the picture of it's enclosure in the morning, how soak does it need to be with warm water? Like half of it;s body?

I mean every morning at least for 30minute i put it outdoor and let sunscreen on it, i watched it and play with it at those time.

That sunscreen is probably toxic. You should not be putting any chemical products on your tortoise, ever. Your tortoise will not get sunburnt. Hopefully the sunscreen didn’t harm it.

You can’t just put it in its water bowl. It will walk right out. Get a large container, and fill it up with warm water up to around the tortoise’s chin, or where the plastron meets the carapace. Leave it in there for 20-40 minutes, and don’t let the water get cold. You can put the soaking container under or near a heat lamp to keep it warm, but make sure it’s not too hot.

Your night temps need to be 80 minimum in the coolest part of the enclosure, day and night, with a 95-100 degree basking spot.

Please read those links ASAP.

Reptilony

QC, CAN

Ok I don't think you mean that you apply solar cream on your tortoise so that's good lol

Chompski

Indonesia
The nose bubble is an indicator of a respiratory infection. Your tortoise needs heat and it needs it right now. How are you heating and lighting the tortoise?

Your tortoise needs to be soaked every day.

What type of UV bulb are you using? How close is the bulb to the tortoise?

The colored pellets are not a good torte diet. Please read the care and feeding sheets that have been linked here for you for info about what to feed your tortoise.

Sulcatas can see red, but they can see other colors too. They have better vision than we do.

Unless you have the correct medicine (The medicine in your picture is not the correct one…), and you know 100% for sure how to correctly dose it, you should not be attempting to medicate your own tortoise with out vet supervision.

It would hep us to advise you if we knew where in the world you are. We don't need your address, just a general idea. "Nope" is not helpful.

I might have to get proper bulb, the one i had was just a freebie from the breeder.
How many UV do i need for a sulcata? I've try browse online shop and found a exoterra UVB lamp 100 13watt, 100 25watt, 200 13 watt, 200 25watt.
Currently what i use is MEIZU brand, Halogen basking spot 20wat, there arent any other description.
I live in asean (indonesia), the temp here is around 85-ish fahrenheit at night.
The bulb is about 8-10inch away from the the turtle.

also guys i meant sunlight, i miss typed it as sunscreen (stupid me)

Chompski

Indonesia
Ok I don't think you mean that you apply solar cream on your tortoise so that's good lol
That sunscreen is probably toxic. You should not be putting any chemical products on your tortoise, ever. Your tortoise will not get sunburnt. Hopefully the sunscreen didn’t harm it.

You can’t just put it in its water bowl. It will walk right out. Get a large container, and fill it up with warm water up to around the tortoise’s chin, or where the plastron meets the carapace. Leave it in there for 20-40 minutes, and don’t let the water get cold. You can put the soaking container under or near a heat lamp to keep it warm, but make sure it’s not too hot.

Your night temps need to be 80 minimum in the coolest part of the enclosure, day and night, with a 95-100 degree basking spot.

Yeah sorry, it was late here and i misstype sunlight and typed sunscreen like an idiot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I might have to get proper bulb, the one i had was just a freebie from the breeder.
How many UV do i need for a sulcata? I've try browse online shop and found a exoterra UVB lamp 100 13watt, 100 25watt, 200 13 watt, 200 25watt.
Currently what i use is MEIZU brand, Halogen basking spot 20wat, there arent any other description.
I live in asean (indonesia), the temp here is around 85-ish fahrenheit at night.
The bulb is about 8-10inch away from the the turtle.

also guys i meant sunlight, i miss typed it as sunscreen (stupid me)
Read those threads. The answers you need are in them. Come back with all your questions after you are done reading.

Chompski

Indonesia
Read those threads. The answers you need are in them. Come back with all your questions after you are done reading.
I guess first thing i gotta get is a hygrometer and a temp gun.
I'm sure at least with the bulb my tempt is more than 85 fahrenheit in the closure, but i'll make sure tomorrow after i get the temp gun and hygrometer.

I'm still not totally get what UVB/UV is, but from what i read, the most important usage of the bulb is to get 90 fahrenheit in the enclosure and as long i put it on the sun for 15-30 minute with water soaking it every morning i do not need UV/UVB lamp?
There are some things that i need to change for the enclosure, i've been usign wood chips for reptiles. I'll change it into soil in the morning.
There are some hibiscus plant around my house so i'll start giving it as a food from now on.

Chompski

Indonesia
Updates, my sulcata seems healthy now.
There arent nose bubble anymore, he's really active.
Sometimes he even ran around straight 1 hour when i put him outside, and he ate a ton of pellets and vegetables.
I think he/she's just a bit sick from the breeder.
I've been spraying water daily to kept the humid and he/she looks fine now, he/she doesnt even flinch anymore when i was cleaning his/her shell when he/she is eating.
Thanks for the help guys.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV

I think he means sun shine not sunscreen