Questions on hyberation

Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
michagin
hi guys, this will be sissy's and our first winter.... Does she need to go into hybertion and if so what should i do to make sure she has everything she needs ? Or if i keep her house the way it is now would she not hybernate and if she dosnt will she be alright?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi guys, this will be sissy's and our first winter.... Does she need to go into hybertion and if so what should i do to make sure she has everything she needs ? Or if i keep her house the way it is now would she not hybernate and if she dosnt will she be alright?
You need to decide if you want to brumate or not. We will help you either way, but there are different things to be done depending on what you want to do.

She does not "need" to brumate, but I think it is best if animals that would brumate in the wild, also brumate safely in captivity. You can keep the tortoise up all winter with some effort, and it appears to do no harm.

Dragon

michagin
humm i want what is best for sissy....but im not sure how i will know she is in hybernation and if she is alright when in hybernation...and not dead or something...grr there are times when my anxity and panic disorder makes it so hard to make the right desions....I have started counsling now iv gone 3 times and it seems to be helping ( the other reason i havent been on as much) i will see if spike will use my computer tomarrow and talk with you guys so he can help me decide what to do... of course i would like her to stay as she is now but like i said i want what is best for sissy if you guys could leave some information for spike to read so he can make a good desission it would really be helpful....he dosnt know any more then i do about torts...and like i said i will have him log on here using my computer and id thank you all so much

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
humm i want what is best for sissy....but im not sure how i will know she is in hybernation and if she is alright when in hybernation...and not dead or something...grr there are times when my anxity and panic disorder makes it so hard to make the right desions....I have started counsling now iv gone 3 times and it seems to be helping ( the other reason i havent been on as much) i will see if spike will use my computer tomarrow and talk with you guys so he can help me decide what to do... of course i would like her to stay as she is now but like i said i want what is best for sissy if you guys could leave some information for spike to read so he can make a good desission it would really be helpful....he dosnt know any more then i do about torts...and like i said i will have him log on here using my computer and id thank you all so much
I’m sorry that this all creating stress for you. Perhaps my experience can help…

I have had my Russian for 14 of his 18 years. I have never brumated him. I live in Connecticut and winters are truly winters. He spends the summer in his outside enclosure, but moves in when the temps dip too chilly. I have a PVC enclosure for his winter months, but he does slow down a bit when the sun‘s rays start fading. He will sleep a bit more for a few months, but he has always been healthy and fine. I adjust his lighting and heat accordingly.

If you are unsure or concerned about your ability to brumate Sissy, then don’t. Just make sure that you do non-brumation well. You can always plan to brumate next year after giving yourself a year to prepare.

I hope this helps.

Dragon

michagin
yes this helps a lot.... and defently eases my mind lol i have noticed she hasnt eaten as much the last few days or rather shes eating more slowly....leaving some of her food in her dish...where in mi and the weather around here is crazy this time of year....we've had a couple of freeze nights an cooler weather but its suppose to be back in the 70s by next week lol im just slowly reduceing how much food i put in her dish and if she runs out i'll add more. i'llkeep a closer watch the thermonter

Dragon

michagin
to make sure thetemp dosnt go down...is there anything else i should do or cheak on more often ? i usuly take her out to soak once a day sometimes i miss a day but never

Dragon

michagin
but she never goes more then 2 days without a soak....if she s asleep should i just let her sleep and soak her when shes awake? sorry this post is in peices for some reason my computer seems to want to send the message before im done typing it lol and thank you so much for your help!!! sorry i didnt replay sooner but this is mya busy season not only do i make a lot of the gifts i give but family and friends ask if i can make gifts for them to give to lol at least there learning to ask a little earler these days....lol and now i have to go check on the chili....im making a big batch to freeze and i dont want it to burn lol thanks again