Questions on the enclosures humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ1999

5 Year Member
I am spraying some water into my red footed tortoises enclosure to keep the humidity levels up, but I'm not sure how often I need to spray it. Please help, any help will be appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's best if you can cover 1/2 of it and actually wet the bottom layers of substrate. Reds seem to be more prone to shell rot then say the leopards or Sullies. If you can pour water in a corner, so the bottom layers are wet, leaving the top dry, then you shouldn't have to wet it as often. Make sure you have a good humidity gage.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
I agree with Barb. It would be ideal to keep the top layer dry, and the bottom layer wet.

All enclosures and people's houses are different, so we can't say how often you need to mist or add water to the enclosure. You'll need a hygrometer, which measures humidity.

If you're in the USA, places like Walmart have digital thermometers/hygrometers. You'll find them in the home improvement section of the store. That way you can more precisely monitor humidity. The cheapest are about $9 and you may want to buy at least two, to monitor different portions of the enclosure.

Your RF is a cutie, love his/her shell!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

TJ1999

5 Year Member
wellington said:
It's best if you can cover 1/2 of it and actually wet the bottom layers of substrate. Reds seem to be more prone to shell rot then say the leopards or Sullies. If you can pour water in a corner, so the bottom layers are wet, leaving the top dry, then you shouldn't have to wet it as often. Make sure you have a good humidity gage.

Should I wet the corner that's under his hut or his basking rock? (In all four corners there is a plant in one, a rock in another, his hut in another one, and his water dish in the last one)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the warmer sections. Heat and moisture makes humidity. Cold and moisture makes a sick tort.

TJ1999

5 Year Member
wellington said:
In the warmer sections. Heat and moisture makes humidity. Cold and moisture makes a sick tort.

Ok thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.