Questions regarding eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamSoS

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi all. Im new to the site after becoming very found of what ive seen here. great photo's and advice and looks like very friendly community of people.

Im from england aged 24. I love my tortoices and i have 4 eggs which hopefully should hatch around march 12th.

Im trying to read up as much info as possible. But cannot find any info on what you do once they hatch? any advice as this is my first eggs and i wana make sure i do everything possible

Many thanks

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The baby tortoises may take a while to completely leave the egg. During this time it is best to leave them be and keep close watch on them so that do not get stuck to the drying egg shell. I do not suggest helping them out of the egg unless they really need it. They will usually stay in part of the open egg until the yolk sac has been absorbed and then they will venture out, at this time they will also begin to straighten out since they have basically been folded in half inside the egg during the incubation period. Once the yolk sac has been absored you can set them up in a simple unit with bedding, a few areas to hide in and the appropriate lighting. I usually soak my hatchlings a day or two after they hatch and most of them drink right away. I also try not to handle them too much until they straighten out and bulk up a bit.

AdamSoS

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ah thank you very much. I noticed alot of pics taken with baby tortoice's all seem to be in a bath.

How many eggs could you expect from a female in a year? im still so over the moon about this and pray they hatch. ill post so many photo's :D :) )

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
My females all atleast double clutch in one year. However, both my western and eastern hermann's tortoises have tripple clutched in one season and one western hermann's laid 4 clutches. The usual number of eggs my eastern hermann's tortoises lay in a single clutch is 4 but I have gotten, 2, 3, 5, 6 and as many as 8. For my western hermann's tortoises I usually get 2 eggs per clutch and occasionally 4.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hey Adam, how are those eggs doing? I know too soon to tell. I wanted to ask if hermanni's are like Greek regarding humidity during incubation? And if she laid them on top of the substrate or did she dig a hole since you said you were surprised by the last two, and one was broken. Have they changed colors yet to the typical chicken egg white (chalked)? I have my first 3 fertile Greek eggs incubating so I am always interested in new eggs.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Robyn, Hermann's eggs require pretty much the same humidity as Testudo ibera does, however, other species of greeks may be different especially those from desert like conditions.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Chris so Hemmann's eggs incubate at about 70-80% humidity. Interesting.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I have had success with anywhere from 70 to 85%, I have had eggs dry out at less than 65%.

AdamSoS

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Could any one be so kind to post a pic of there incubator's please? :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know you all know about not turning the eggs, but it needs to be said: Don't buy the Hovabator that turns the eggs automatically. Reptile eggs should not be turned once the embryo starts to grow.

Yvonne

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I too use that same Hovabator Incubator!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OK AdamSos, here is a post I received from Danny when I first had my eggs.
"To get a 50/50 mix the temperature should be 31.5C. If your below this you will get more males and if your above this you will get more females. But above 34C and below 26C you will have no development or dead babies. You want the eggs on something dry, vermiculite, perlite or even aspen ( I use aspen) Then have a container of water in the incubator for humidity. Humidity should be around 70%"
Mind you this was for Greek eggs.

And yes Yvonne you are correct. It should have been said. No turning and No fan. I do open the lid on my incubator daily to let out any CO2 that could develop (nopt really a problem with only 3 eggs) but only for about 30 seconds while I am adding water or checking the temps.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Here's a shot of some that I use. Both are hovabators and they work very well. Eggs are set up on either slightly moist vermiculite, sand or aspen.

incubators3.jpg

incubators2.jpg

incubators1.jpg

AdamSoS

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you very very much for the replies. I looked at that product for the incubator. i belive i can get it off a website www.incubatorshop.co.uk for around 80 pound.

I knew not to turn the eggs. there in with cerlite . The top of the container has condensation water at the top. is that normal?

the tempature is fine atm. ill try get a pic of how its setup. i still feel ill get this incubator though for the next load if she lay's more.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I don't have a cover over my eggs other than the incubator, so Chris or someone else will have to answer that one.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You don't have to cover the eggs, I've hatched many without doing it, but I have also hatched plenty doing it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
HermanniChris said:
You don't have to cover the eggs, I've hatched many without doing it, but I have also hatched plenty doing it.

Chris his eggs are covered and they have condensation on the top of the container. Will this cause problems?? Adam didn't say how much water condences though.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Robyn, if there is condensation inside the containers I would remove the lids right away. It's hard to say not seeing the exact set up and situation but it sounds like too much humidity to me.

AdamSoS

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ill take some photo's of my setup when i get home from work and post them up for people to see. ill take the photo as they are but then remove the lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.