Questions

Ke11y

Hello,
I got my baby red foot in December as gift, so I am still learning and researching on what it needs to have a good and healthy life. My 3 main concerns are:

1) It's eyes are usually closed and don't seem to open until I soak or mist it. It rubs it's eyes a lot.
2)It is very lazy and is always hiding under the shelter like cave I have in it's tank. I take it out and goes right back in.
3) It's a very picky eater, I've tried a variety of fruits and vegetables and pellets and it only seems to like bananas, tomatoes, and kale. And doesn't eat much and will go days without wanting to eat anything...

sj83508

1) Look in a BOOK / Internet / tortoise form and talk to Josh or go to a local reptile clinic!

2) Don't worry about the hiding because it's probably shy and hasn't got youst to the environment yet, so don't worry about that!

3) Some of them are fussy but if they start to get really fussy then look in a BOOK, local reptile vets but if no look and you've got nothing els to try then go on the Internet!

Hope these work!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello,
I got my baby red foot in December as gift, so I am still learning and researching on what it needs to have a good and healthy life. My 3 main concerns are:

1) It's eyes are usually closed and don't seem to open until I soak or mist it. It rubs it's eyes a lot.
2)It is very lazy and is always hiding under the shelter like cave I have in it's tank. I take it out and goes right back in.
3) It's a very picky eater, I've tried a variety of fruits and vegetables and pellets and it only seems to like bananas, tomatoes, and kale. And doesn't eat much and will go days without wanting to eat anything...
Get us a photo of the lighting as soon as you can. It sounds like it could be a coiled bulb issue and they can become serious very fast. Also photos of your enclosure and the tortoise itself. For the moment, if you have a bulb that is shaped like a coil or a spring, turn it off immediately.
Hiding and sleeping for a baby are not unusual. The eye issue is.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A lot of what "WE" all now know about correct tortoise keeping and especially baby tortoise keeping has been fairly recent.
Most books out there contain antiquated and even comical advice and information.
Right here you'll find the folks that did the research, etc. and live with tortoises 24/7.
And lastly, Welcome to the forum!