Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i am getting a baby sully on the 12th hopefully.

i have a few questions.

what temp should the hottest basking spot be?

also, i have a grapevine in my yard and was wondering if the leaves are safe to eat for them?

also, i was told to keep the humidity as dry as possible. is that the case? and i know to soak him, but how often?

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yes grape vines are good for sulcatas! soak 2 times a week

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
alright thanks a bunch everyone.

the tub i have set up was a pretty powerful heat bulb. i may need to lift it more somehow, as i'm pretty sure it is hotter than 90 right under it.

also about the grape leaves, do leaves count as more of a grass of vegetable? as far as nutrition i figure they would be pretty low, so are they mostly a filler? so ultimately are they a staple like grass, or a 25% of the time like the veg? and is it okay to have grass and hay out all the time for grazing?

also, for alfalfa how do you serve it to hatchlings, and how often, i can get fresh alfala at my meijer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The captain said:
also about the grape leaves, do leaves count as more of a grass of vegetable? as far as nutrition i figure they would be pretty low, so are they mostly a filler? so ultimately are they a staple like grass, or a 25% of the time like the veg? and is it okay to have grass and hay out all the time for grazing?
also, for alfalfa how do you serve it to hatchlings, and how often, i can get fresh alfala at my meijer.

The sulcata should be fed on weeds and grasses, so the grape leaves would be considered a weed. As for the hay, when people say that, they don't mean alfalfa hay, which is a legume, they mean a grass hay. Most people use orchard grass hay, but there are other types of grass hay. If you find a feed store that sells hay, the dealer would more than likely allow you to rake us some of the "leavings" from his pile of grass hay for your sulcata. We don't use alfalfa for tortoises, its not good for them.

With a baby, they have trouble biting off the hard hay pieces, so what I do is buy the Spring Mix from the grocery store. Its a packaged mixture of young lettuces...escarole, endive, raddiccio, etc. I wet the greens and sprinkle a bit of hay pieces over the mix. I buy a "salad style hay" from www.carolinapetsupply.com. Its already cut up into small pieces that a baby can ingest.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
The captain said:
alright thanks a bunch everyone.

the tub i have set up was a pretty powerful heat bulb. i may need to lift it more somehow, as i'm pretty sure it is hotter than 90 right under it.

Alfalfa is not good for Torts. Bermuda, Timothy, Orchard are all good grasses and hays. Grape leaves are full of nutrition. Just be careful not to feed fruit (grapes) too much sugar and can cause runny stools. also spinless cactus is packed with nutrition and calcium.

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oh sorry about the alfalfa, i was confused with iguanas.

alright then, I'm going to need to find a supplier for grass hay as i can't find anyone around here.

lastly what is the best calcium supplement and where can i get it?

thanks,
sam

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks i will look into all of that

i am in Michigan, i know keeping a tort out here means dealing with the weather changes, but people here do keep them, and they look great and very happy.

The captain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
you know, i changed my mind

sully is just too big right now.

i decided on a redfoot. they are beautiful and much smaller, but still a good size. i know they are completely different care, and from what i researched, they are much more difficult. but i know i can do it.

thanks
sam

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
WalMart had the best price of the bagged small animal Hay, or a feed store might let you 'clean up' just be careful it isnt too dusty or moldy.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Captain I would check out Turtletary.com and Redfoots.com for care of redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.