Quick lighting fixture question

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I bought an "all living things" uv fixture with bulb yesterday and I'm wondering if the clear plastic bulb cover needs to come off since I keep reading that UVB is dramatically reduced by plastics, plexiglas, glass and screens.

The cover is crystal clear and am wondering why they would bother with a cover if they know UVB is reduced? But then I guess that would then lead to more questions about reptiles products like, why they sell coil bulbs when there is eye damage reports.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, it needs to come off. I always wonder myself why they put them on to begin with.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yes, remove it. Does it have a ceramic or plastic base? And does it have a switch or a dial to turn on/off?

It will be fine either way for a basking or a CHE, but if you plan to use it with a PowerSun or a SolarGlo, it MUST have a ceramic base and a on/switch, not the dial/rheostat. PowerSuns are finicky and if you take care of them they will last a long time. I burned out three using the wrong fixture. Expensive experiment.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384010403.829148.jpg
One of these. Cover off right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Ah, you have the fluorescent kind! I switched over to those, and I bought a six pack of ReptiSuns from LLLReptile for $17.99 each. Saved a fortune!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Ah, you have the fluorescent kind! I switched over to those, and I bought a six pack of ReptiSuns from LLLReptile for $17.99 each. Saved a fortune!

I shop from them for almost all of my reptile supplies. Great prices and great customer service. And fast shipping.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Ooooo. Good to know! That's cheap!! Thank you VERY much!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You got the answers but just to share I have 2 of those and removed the plastic, too.

A small screwdriver does the job ;)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Team Gomberg said:
You got the answers but just to share I have 2 of those and removed the plastic, too.

A small screwdriver does the job ;)

I break them off in a frustrated fashion with my hands...lol. I guess I'm not that patient.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I took out the two tiny screws that held it in place. Voila, gone.

Now I'm cutting big holes into my plexiglass lid and wow what a royal pain in the butt that is when you have a raging headache. :-/
It's loud, it's stinky, and the drimmel gets hot in my hand. I guess I need a leather work glove lol.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I wasn't sure how to mount them without them being too close to the hatchling since the domes are so big(tall) :-/

I hope I didn't just make a $55 mistake! [FLUSHED FACE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ooooo, holes for domes, yes.

I meant mount the UV light fixture. I assumed you were cutting holes for those, since they are what this thread is about :p

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh yeah haha, sorry for the confusion. Yeah, holes for the domes. I'm starting to wonder if the thinner plexiglas would have been just as effective at holding in humidity and holding up domes...this thick stuff is a lot of work lol.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thin would absolutely work! I use clear wrapping paper (doesn't get thinner than that) to seal off one closed chamber and aluminum foil for another!

Oh but for holding up domes, I use a strip of hardware cloth across the top. Like this,

Just for a visual example...

Attachments

• 1384029966123.jpg
    1384029966123.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1384030010838.jpg
    1384030010838.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 24

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hahaha I always take the hard route! I originally bought the thinner $23 plexiglas and took it back when I thought it may be too thin. OY. Leave it to me... Hahaha

That's genius!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use a clear shower curtain from the dollar store.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384031011.764814.jpg
I wonder how long she will live in this? I set her I it for size comparison but she is currently in a smaller closed chamber while I set this one up.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384031151.659897.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: