Quick Question (acclimating to outdoors)

toocrazy

My first tortoise, a Russian, is due to arrive today. I've built a nice enclosure outside. My question is, it's cloudy, gloomy and 67 out right now. It's supposed to get to 80 today but still stay cloudy. The temps are going to be the same for the next few days, being cloudy and somewhat chilly in the mornings. Will this be ok for the tortoise since he's come from a place that had a heat lamp on him? I live in FL and it's been so hot lately I didn't get one. Should I? Should I bring him in for a few days? I'm starting to feel more nervous I'm going to hurt him than excited. :(

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
RE: Quick Question

It depends. An adult will be just fine and will dig down to stay warm...ish. A baby or a juvenile might have to come inside till it gets warm all day.

toocrazy

Thank you so much. It's an adult so I'll go ahead and put it outside but I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

If he's been indoors, I would set up and indoor enclosure for him and just put him outside during fair weather. Over the spring and summer you can let him acclimate to the great outdoors in your area and then decode what to do in the fall.

toocrazy

It's been so hot and humid here lately, I can't believe on the day he is to arrive it's gloomy and chilly. He's due to arrive in the next half hour so he may have to go out until I can get to the store and get a lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You can just used any old household incandescent bulb. Just adjust the fixture up or down to get the temperature right.

toocrazy

Oh awesome! Thanks Tom. I've done so much research before I got this guy and now I'm feeling like I don't know anything. lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just remember that cold and damp is bad. Russians have no problem with cold. But to go from a dry, warm indoor enclosure directly into a cold damp outdoor enclosure might be too much, especially when under the stress of being in a new place and having been shipping from afar.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I generally don't put indoor tortoises outside until late spring when the weather has warmed up. This way they have all summer to acclimate.

toocrazy

Well I ended up putting him outside because by 11 am the sun came out and it got hot. So much for a cloudy day. I live in SW FL so it's usually warm here. He seems to be doing ok despite his trip to my house in a box.