Quick question (is it too cold to put tortoise outside?)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
In Europe and some parts of the US people use cold frames, or mini-greenhouses, to be able to get their tortoises outside earlier in spring and keep them out longer in fall. This seems to work well for a temperate species in a temperate climate, but I would not recommend it for a tropical species like a sulcata in a temperate climate.

Use your temp gun to check ground and surface temps. If its warm enough to put them out, try it and check carapace temps every few minutes to see if they are warming or cooling.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
In Europe and some parts of the US people use cold frames, or mini-greenhouses, to be able to get their tortoises outside earlier in spring and keep them out longer in fall. This seems to work well for a temperate species in a temperate climate, but I would not recommend it for a tropical species like a sulcata in a temperate climate.

Use your temp gun to check ground and surface temps. If its warm enough to put them out, try it and check carapace temps every few minutes to see if they are warming or cooling.
What should the ground be around, got a pic of one of these green houses??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I like ground temps to be at least 75 and climbing. Its not difficult to get a ground temp of 75 in the sun even on a 55 degree day.

Do a search for "cold frame" for pics. If a russian comes out from under the cold frame to forage on a 55 degree day, it won't hurt a thing. If a baby sulcata does the same thing, it could end badly.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I'm still surprised how much warmer the ground temps can be than the air temps when it is sunny outside. I'm sure your torts enjoyed the sun!
I put my tortoises out when temperatures are in the mid 60's with full sun. Ground temperature in unshaded parts of their pen are often 30 degrees warmer. I just check on the tortoises often (retired) to make sure they don't settle in for too long in a relatively cold spot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In an area that is sunny, but protected from the wind/breeze, it is safe to put your tortoise out in cooler weather. The sun warms up the protected area nicely for tortoises. Just keep checking the spot to be sure it's still warm and sunny.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm in the UK and Joe's been part of the family for 46 years

His Cold Frame on bare earth so he can dig in and where the sun rises in the morning
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459867301.757171.jpg

His Dog Kennel. Insulated and with a basking lamp where he can recharge
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459867347.594915.jpg

I have also spread blue slate chips in his favourite sun bathing spot. They get warm even when the sun is weak and he loves to lie on them.

Rue

Canada
Lucky Joe! Very nice!

I will have to remember the dark slate for our outdoor enclosure.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
My Sulcatas spend all year outside... They have a heated hide... My big sulcatas over 100lbs) and some under 6" that come out and lay in the sun for a few hrs on 40* days.... Return to the hide warm up and come right back out.... Don't underestimate there ability to thermoregulate...