quick questtion I'm at home depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
I am looking at cactus and all I see is ball cactus( too prickly) and coral cactus...is coral cactus ok to give my tortoise???

Nevermind I found some Yummy looking prickly pear and aloe :)

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
604e54c8-e756-49f0-8aa1-412fa9d8a861.jpg

They are all baby plants but they should do he is still a little guy so they will grow together :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
The middle one is aloe, but I am not sure about the others. I thought prickly pear was the fruit that came from the optunia cactus, but hey, I could be wrong :p

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi, None of them are any good because homedepot puts alot of chemicals on their plants. Sulcatas can eat aloe but i dont think they can eat the cactus you have pictured.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are a type of opuntia, commonly called beaver tail. They have more glochids (stickers) than I like when using for food, however, the glochids don't seem to bother the tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are several variations of that type of cactus called "spineless opuntia" that don't have so many spines. There are some that have NO spines. That is what most of us feed out. My buddy Dean gets them from Rivenrock. He gave me a couple and now I grow my own. That's the best way to get them. Order up a few pound of pads and then just stick them in some dirt or a pot, depending on where you live. No chemicals that way. many nurseries are using systemic pesticides that can last for 12 months. To be safe, I only feed new growth off of a plant that has been planted in my yard for one year or more.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Lol ok well I tried.I know we can feed them aloe on occasion and I did report the plants and plan to wait a couple weeks before feeding it to him sl all the chemicals are out.I figured the cactus was the wrong kind but I got excited when I saw the label lol oh well I have a new house plants.I will have some of the good kind shipped when I can afford it.Tahnk guys for the help :)

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
We live in Texas, you can't find any cactus laying around? Lol! I have a friend with a several thousand acre ranch, and we go cut pads off of his. Yes, they have spines, but my hubby gets to deal with those! Then I have friends with aloe plants, and every so often we get some of that. Lucky for me, they are too lazy to fertilize their plants!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sulcatababies1402 said:
Lol ok well I tried.I know we can feed them aloe on occasion and I did report the plants and plan to wait a couple weeks before feeding it to him sl all the chemicals are out.I figured the cactus was the wrong kind but I got excited when I saw the label lol oh well I have a new house plants.I will have some of the good kind shipped when I can afford it.Tahnk guys for the help :)

You can also buy small amounts of them from any local Mexican grocery store, like Vallarta or Tres Sierras. They call them "nopales" and they are used in some Mexican dishes. I don't know how well those would grow if you planted them, but for a few cents, you can find out.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
sulcatababies1402 said:

I think if you re-pot the plants and give them a couple months, they'd be okay to feed. I'm pretty sure they apply those chemicals systemically through the potting soil (not 100% on this).

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Home Depot has a good return policy if you want to take them back! I'd keep the aloe, replant it, and feed the new growth that starts to grow in a few months!

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Oh I will do that! Thanks and I will see if there are any other versions of prickly cactus minus the prickly there lol it was really late when I bought it last night and I was just super excited I found something that said prickly :p guess I have to brush up on my cactus knowledge

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I believe most, if not all, of the Walmarts around Austin sell nopales. They take a little longer to start producing visible growth but they'll grow. For the first couple weeks, they thicken up a bit and put roots out.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
I believe most, if not all, of the Walmarts around Austin sell nopales. They take a little longer to start producing visible growth but they'll grow. For the first couple weeks, they thicken up a bit and put roots out.

Really? Like in the produce section? o_O I went looking at all the Walmart garden areas and home depot only seems to carry the prickly prickly kind lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yep, they're in the produce section. I haven't seen pads in HEB but HEB does have prickly pear fruit sometimes. If you want a bunch of cactus and have patience you could buy those (5/$1) and plant the seeds.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Yep, they're in the produce section. I haven't seen pads in HEB but HEB does have prickly pear fruit sometimes. If you want a bunch of cactus and have patience you could buy those (5/$1) and plant the seeds.

Well I tried HEB first and they had the pads and a bag of pad pieces so I bought the pads to dry and plant and the pieces to give him in the meantime :) Thanks for the help! Can't wait till I can't plant and they starts growing.If they all take I will have 6 new cactus soon! Any type on planting?

Status
Not open for further replies.