Quick way to add shade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I'm a little worried about my babies outside in the sun. I've been running around with my temp gun like a maniac.. Once their foliage grows it will be better. Anyway I had to go to SAMs for something and I saw they had 7' beach umbrellas on sale for 10 bucks. I picked up two and stuck them in the dirt so they shade the enclosures. Them temperature has already dropped 10* under then :)

I find I'm doing that a LOT lately. Walking around stores thinking, "I could use that in my enclosure!"

7207b93a.jpg

Lol, not pretty, but it works!

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Yuma, AZ
I do the exact same thing! That's to funny!!
My outside tortoises also have a large beach umbrella. It seems like the best "quick" way to provide shade. I have stuff growing out there but it just can't grow fast enough! The tortoises snacking on the plants isn't helping their growth either.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I'm similar, except I'll go over to someone's house and look in their garden or to a lawn and garden store or something and I'll say "I bet my tortoise would like to eat that..."

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off the umbrella is very pretty. Adds color and a touch of class. :D

Yep, driving down the road you start noticing dead trees and limbs, nice rocks, and stuff. In town driving is more along the lines of thinking this or that place would be a great place to stop and ask for old blooms. seeds or starter plants, or weeds to take. Checking out the curb side waste piles for usable items. Stores are so much fun, especially trying to rethink ways to use clearance items. My family shake their heads at me sometimes. :rolleyes: :D I think it's just true signs your all got bad cases of Tortoisitis. :D

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Wow! What a wonderful set up you have! The umbrella looks great! You should get a few more. Also you may want to think about a shade cloth. It is used for greenhouses, and you should be able to get them at the home depo and lowes. You can also select how much shade that you want with the mesh of the cloth. It may look nice... I use one to protect my orchids from direct sunlite. ~C

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used to us an umbrella to shade my pond. It got so much hair algae cuz it had no shade. Now that the water lilies get so big, I don't have to use the umbrella any more.
I think it's funny when you find something for your tort and you say to the person with you, oh that's cool, I could use that, they answer, ya it is. Then you add that you could use it for this, or that, for your tort. They just look at you with that face, you all know that face and then they say, oh ya, like they really want to say are you ----ing kidding me :) Sucks to be them:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm doing the same thing for my baby sulcata enclosure.

BTW, your backyard rocks!!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Great idea, and like Tom said, thst is very a very nice set up!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Thanks! When I woke up this morning, I moved the umbrella over top of brains because it was raining. I'm sure he was thinking , " if I wanted to be under the umbrella , I would've moved there!"

Thanks for the compliments on the enclosures, it was all just a pile of wood! My husband built the whole setup :D

I did have to agree to a new drill though....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like how they always can work in a new tool. Really, like the old one all of a sudden isn't good enough:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hey even with the cost of a new drill, it was entirely worth it from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.