Quran Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
http://www.ktar.com/category/us-new...h-rebuffs-military-concerns-on-Quran-burning/

I think this is pretty disgusting. I was and still am upset about the 9/11 attacks, but I don't think this is an appropriate response. This is a Christian organization; Christ commanded us to love one another no matter what basically and I think this is the complete opposite.

There is a quote in the article by General Patraeus - "images of the burning of a Quran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan- and around the world- to inflame public opinion and incite violence."

I really hope this guy reconsiders. Clearly it will do more harm than anything and place our troops in Afghanistan in a much more difficult position.

Any thoughts to the contrary?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Well, I would hope the good general would follow the ideal of upholding the constitution of our country - this includes free speech rights. Free speech that you may not agree with.

Many people, including those in the military have said over the years - I don't agree with your expression of free speech, but I would die in support of your freedom to express it. That is what makes America great.

Kinda like the ground zero mosque deal. They have RIGHT to build a mosque. We may not agree or like it, but they do have a right, even if we find it repulsive.

On the other hand, those opposed can freely offer their view and protest, withhold monetary support, etc. So go ahead and burn bibles if you want. Burn the flag. Talk bad about our military or our president if you must. Just keep in mind that in America, the shining beacon on a hill, you have the God given right, protected by our consitution, do do so. And just hopefully, you'll respect that fact, and find a way to dissent or offer your opinion in a dignified, legal, respectful, and tasteful way.

S

Scooter

I am originally from Gainesville and see nothing but bad things coming from this.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
chadk said:
And just hopefully, you'll respect that fact, and find a way to dissent or offer your opinion in a dignified, legal, respectful, and tasteful way.

If I wasn't tasteful or respectful, then it came out wrong. I certainly respect the rights of others, I was just expressing my point of view. I just don't see what they expect to come of burning the Quran other than to instil a deeper anger against Americans.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I wasn't directing that at you, but rather those that come up with lame ideas like building mosques at sites clearly causing public concern, or burning flags, or burning bibles, or burning bras... you get the idea...

eliscott

5 Year Member
chadk said:
I wasn't directing that at you, but rather those that come up with lame ideas like building mosques at sites clearly causing public concern, or burning flags, or burning bibles, or burning bras... you get the idea...

I personally find the burning of bras to be a fantastic idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What an idiot! I respect the free speech, etc. rights of all of us here in the U.S., but I also see nothing but bad coming from this. When folks in other countries read the news story, it will be attributed to ALL of us, not just to this one wierdo.

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
Just proves that all religion is insane.

chadk

10 Year Member!
As opposed to what? Plenty of insane aethists, agnostics, environmentalists, humanists, etc etc etc etc....

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
As opposed to rational people. Sure there are insane people of every flavor, but religion has a prerequisite of belief in insane things. I'm not trying to get into a debate about it or insult people, most of my friends and family are theists. I just can't be surprised when something like this comes along though, it fits right in.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
eliscott said:

This all depends on who is burning them.... Generally when this has been done in the past, it's not something you wanted to see.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TylerStewart said:
eliscott said:

This all depends on who is burning them.... Generally when this has been done in the past, it's not something you wanted to see.

I lol'd for real in the middle of class after I read this.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
wpk said:
As opposed to rational people. Sure there are insane people of every flavor, but religion has a prerequisite of belief in insane things. I'm not trying to get into a debate about it or insult people, most of my friends and family are theists. I just can't be surprised when something like this comes along though, it fits right in.

I concur.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am pretty upset about this myself, I feel it is disgusting as well, hateful, disrespectful, and goes against everything this country stands for.

The whole issue of the mosque near Ground Zero has me p.o.'ed. Muslims are not responsible for the attack against the WTC, TERRORISTS are! Timothy McVeigh was not Muslim, in fact he was Roman Catholic (although admittedly not practicing at the time) and yet when he bombed the Alfred P. Murrah building in Oklahoma City, it was no less an act of terror against our country than 9/11 was.

I won't have any part of this hate. I am proud that I accept people for who they are, and what they choose to practice, insofar as it does not bring harm to others, which Islam itself does not preach, and I refuse to be so narrow minded as to allow 19 hateful terrorists color my perceptions of the Muslim community. Many Muslims died in the terror attack on 9/11, including those that were there to rescue people trapped inside the burning buildings.

I can't get too deep into this topic, because I will go off the deep end, but that is how I feel about it in a nutshell.

The only thing that I will add is look at all the wars that have been fought over religion. Why are Christians better than Muslims? The terrorists that attacked the WTC were Muslim, yes, but have Christians forgotten the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, and the fact that Hitler was Catholic? So, he was one nut that created a lot of hate. That does not mean all German people or all Catholics are bad. It is just ridiculous to paint every one with the same brush.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Kristina:
More wars were fought and more deaths have been attributed to non-religious motivations and non-religious (even anti-religious) forms of gov't. A quick look at Mao, Stalin, etc and you'll quickly see that.

WPK, that is a pretty bigoted and ignorant attitude. Simply looking at currrent times and through history and you'll find some pretty top notch rational people who have a faith in God in one form or another. Probably 90% of our Presidents, including the current one consider themselves Christian in one form or another.

In fact, close to 90% of the US poputlation (even more if you look at the entire global population) is at least Theistic in some form. So those of you in the tiny minority who feel so 'enlightened' come accross as pretty smug to suggest that you have some grasp on rationality above and beyond everyone else.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
chadk said:
Kristina:
More wars were fought and more deaths have been attributed to non-religious motivations and non-religious (even anti-religious) forms of gov't. A quick look at Mao, Stalin, etc and you'll quickly see that.

Regardless, still a lot of wars have been blamed on religion. I never said that more were attributed to religion than other reasons.

My point is that almost every religion preaches tolerance and love for fellow mankind, and yet here we sit hating each other.

Muslims are being tarred in a horrible manner because of the actions of a few people of the Islamic faith. It isn't right and it isn't fair.

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
chadk said:
Kristina:

WPK, that is a pretty bigoted and ignorant attitude. Simply looking at currrent times and through history and you'll find some pretty top notch rational people who have a faith in God in one form or another. Probably 90% of our Presidents, including the current one consider themselves Christian in one form or another.

In fact, close to 90% of the US poputlation (even more if you look at the entire global population) is at least Theistic in some form. So those of you in the tiny minority who feel so 'enlightened' come accross as pretty smug to suggest that you have some grasp on rationality above and beyond everyone else.

Well, I was planning on not posting on this kind of thing anymore, but if I'm going to get called out then sure, I'll play. First off, in which way was my statement bigoted or ignorant? Please show where my statement was inaccurate. You're correct that 90% of Americans hold a theistic viewpoint, this doesn't make them correct. 90% of the world's population once thought illness was caused by evil spirits (some still do). Magical thinking has never been found to be correct in the long term. It's hard to gauge tone in a written format such as this, I'm not trying to come off as smug. I'm sure you're not trying to come off as hostile as you "sound" (I hope).

Stalin and Mao did not commit their atrocities in the name of atheism, but in the name of the state. They knew the power over the hearts and minds that the church held and they wanted to replace it with themselves. I'm glad you left Hitler off the list as he's usually the first one on it and the one who least deserves to be on it. Hitler was a Roman Catholic whose antisemitism was supported by the Vatican (google the Concordant of 1933).

It's also good that you don't blame your "more wars" statement as being in the name of nontheism, but simply for non-religious reasons. I can't think of a single war fought in the name of atheism. Non-religious reasons for war abound of course. Land, resources, population pressures; these are all the causes of many conflicts and will continue to be so as long as one person owns something that another person wants. I won't discuss the wars fought over nothing but the fact that someone's invisible friend doesn't like the other person's invisible friend. That point makes itself.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I did not vote for Obama, nor do I support many of things he has done since he has been in office. With that said, his comments on the mosque were right on target!

BTW, have you seen the pop ups that come up for this thread, very funny. "Muslim Dating" "How to do Meditation"

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
BTW, have you seen the pop ups that come up for this thread, very funny. "Muslim Dating" "How to do Meditation"

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think what hey are doing is wrong, and I wish they would reconsider, but free speech works both ways, you may disagree with them or support them, but they do have a right to do this right or wrong on your view point, they have the right so while I don't think they should do it, I support their free speech options. As far as religions goes when you make a statement like " Just proves that all religion is insane" you insult people who have deep held beliefs, and while I don't agree with your statement, I of course believe you have the right to make such a statement, even if I think it is misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.