R.I.P. Shelley Tortellini LaTort

singingskater96

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have always wanted a Tortoise my whole childhood and my husband decided it was a good time to start looking for one. My husband found a baby sulcata someone was trying to get rid of on offer up. We picked him up and he was just in a tank with just substrate and an empty water bowl and nothing else. My husband and I took in the little guy because he didn't look good. We brought him home and realized he was pretty neglected. Super dehydrated and no food at all or UV or heat of any sort and they said he was 4 months old. Poor little guy was super soft shelled for that age. We did everything for this little guy humanly possible for two months. We carrot soaked him every day, tried everything to feed him. I loved little Shelley so much and hoped he would recover. He made a slight recovery but unfortunately went down hill and passed away today under his heat lamp.
I had such hopes that this little guy would be around forever. I just wasn't ready to let go. Unfortunately this is what happens with rescuing animals sometimes. At least I know that he was being cared for properly just unfortunately too late. Rest well little Shellster may you be happy in heaven grazing on that tasty green grass. I will miss you little guy. I love you always
Shelley Tortellini LaTort20210528_172622.jpg January 15, 2021-June 30, 2021

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This sad story is all too common. I have healthy ones if you want to try again.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have always wanted a Tortoise my whole childhood and my husband decided it was a good time to start looking for one. My husband found a baby sulcata someone was trying to get rid of on offer up. We picked him up and he was just in a tank with just substrate and an empty water bowl and nothing else. My husband and I took in the little guy because he didn't look good. We brought him home and realized he was pretty neglected. Super dehydrated and no food at all or UV or heat of any sort and they said he was 4 months old. Poor little guy was super soft shelled for that age. We did everything for this little guy humanly possible for two months. We carrot soaked him every day, tried everything to feed him. I loved little Shelley so much and hoped he would recover. He made a slight recovery but unfortunately went down hill and passed away today under his heat lamp.
I had such hopes that this little guy would be around forever. I just wasn't ready to let go. Unfortunately this is what happens with rescuing animals sometimes. At least I know that he was being cared for properly just unfortunately too late. Rest well little Shellster may you be happy in heaven grazing on that tasty green grass. I will miss you little guy. I love you always
Shelley Tortellini LaTortView attachment 328188 January 15, 2021-June 30, 2021

I am sooo sorry for your loss.
Prayers
Hugs
He is in a better place now with no pain.
???❤️❤️❤️❤️??

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sometimes they are just so far gone when you get them there is nothing you can do that will bring them back. It sounds as though you put forth every possible effort to help the poor tortoise. Very sorry to hear that it was not successful in this case.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you for giving this little guy a fighting chance. You did everything you could. Sending hugs to you from Canada.

nicoleann2214

NY
Sorry for your loss!!❤️❤️

jwr0201

Sarasota, FL
Very Sad! Very sorry for your loss.
It really P's me off to see people do that to defenseless animals. See it a lot with reptiles - they think 'Oh well, it's just a tortoise'. Karma will get 'em.
RIP Shellster

Jan A

Boulder, CO
He was loved when he passed, but I know it hurts. So sorry. Big hugs to you & your family.