R.i.p. to my little Chele

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
I am not sure if it was due to the strees of the evacuation, or the unability to correctly regulate temps overnight at our safe place. Or possibly it was just his time, as he was having troubles thriving. Hatched around March 2nd, i recieved him at about 28g, a few days ago at his 7 months he had finally made it up to 39g. When i went to soak him thismorning before heading home he was unresponsive, i soaked anyway hoping he was sleeping, maybe in a hibernated state, i dont know...but no luck, we packed up and headed out. By the time we got home.....some hours later in what it took to pack up and the hour and some drive.....he had started to swell up and his legs and the little bit of his head sticking out were stiff.

The kids and i will miss him :(20171001_095055.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Awfully sorry to hear this, @Peliroja32 . :(

Please accept my sincere condolences. If you need to "talk" just send me a PM.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am so sorry he did not make it. You did your best!
Rest in Peace, little Chele. You were much loved.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Thank you all. We miss him alot. The kids are sad. Im in the process of finishing the new enclosure i had started, so hopefully i can get that finished and then see about getting a new friend for us. It wont replace Chele but its a start on the mend

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
However i will not be buying from tortoise town as i feel he wasnt doing great from the start

39 grams at 7 months? This sounds like a poorly started baby. I say this because you should not feel like this was your fault.

I'll have South African leopards hatching in January if you want to wait. If not, several members here sell well started babies.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am so sorry for your loss.
It was evident how much you cared and tried your best for the little one.

kmloughran

5 Year Member
Napa, Ca
We are in an evacuation situation and your post has me terrified of messing things up for our little guy. I know you said that you don't think you he was alright from the start, but as for housing, what do you think went wrong? Sorry to pick at this, but we're worried abut ours in our current situation.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
If it was a housing issue.....i had him in a small plastic cage, it had a lot of ventilation holes but i had it covered with a blanket. The issue could have been in the icy cold house we stayed at....or the fact that all i could bring was his basking lamp, which was too much heat for the small cage, or my timing could have been off. What i did was i turned the lamp onto warm the cage up enough, then left him a while with it off but covered/wrapped in a blanket. Then as it was cooling off i turned the lamp back on for a while. Also i couldnt find my temp remote reader so i was guessing.

I hope this helps