Raccoon and Opossum. Lid for outdoor enclosure.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise enclosure that is 16' by 8' and made out of cinder blocks stacked 2 high. I wanted to make a lid out of wood and hardware cloth. If it is just sitting on top of the cinder blocks without hinges or a lock will this still be secure? I think the lid would weigh at least 30 lbs if not more. Will the weight alone be enough to make the lid secure? My tortoises have lived outside May-September for five years and I've never had a problem, but I just want to make sure there won't be future problems. I live in a large city so the coons mostly eat garbage around here.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure a lid, with wooden frame & hardware cloth/wire will work well. You could lay an extra 2x4 or two across the top for extra weight.

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
I have a Russian tortoise enclosure that is 16' by 8' and made out of cinder blocks stacked 2 high. I wanted to make a lid out of wood and hardware cloth. If it is just sitting on top of the cinder blocks without hinges or a lock will this still be secure? I think the lid would weigh at least 30 lbs if not more. Will the weight alone be enough to make the lid secure? My tortoises have lived outside May-September for five years and I've never had a problem, but I just want to make sure there won't be future problems. I live in a large city so the coons mostly eat garbage around here.
I have had devastating results with Russians and Raccoons. Raccoons will eat anything they get their grubby paws on. They will eat tort arms and legs off if they can't carry the animal. I enclosed a raised garden for my small sulcatas with 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth. Small enough to keep their mits out. Its 7'x7'. Good luck with your torts. They are well worth protecting.

Attachments

• 20200522_092527.jpg
    20200522_092527.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200522_092434.jpg
    20200522_092434.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
L

LasTortugasNinja

raccoons are tough buggers. They can break into anything they set their minds to. A co-worker had a raccoon family in his attic. Took several wildlife trappers an hour to get the family out. They were equipped like they were trying to bring down a mad dog. An adult raccoon or two will be able to leverage 30lb lid with no latch with little problem.

A simple chain latch or bar latch is all you need to keep the raccoons out. Don't need a lock.

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
Forgot to .entire the lids on my enclosure are recessed and can be locked.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
A raccoon can weigh 25lbs and can walk up the side of a tree as easily as you walk down the sidewalk. I'm sure they are easily strong enough to muscle the lid around. Plus, it only needs to push the lid aside or lift a corner enough to get in.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Ok, I think I will be able to use a masonry drill bit and some expansion anchors in the cinder blocks to put hinges on one side and a few latches on the other side for the lid.