Raccoons, any solutions?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have caught a 'dillo and a box turtle inadvertently with apple cores.

Of course, had the bait been sardines, i might still have caught them.
I'll ad those to my list. Although I'm a little too far into the "burbs" to find many armadillos. (And turtles would need to climb my privacy fence):)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here is what we caught last night using cat food. I know some said to use apples to catch a raccoon but since I don't know for sure what is digging I hedged my bets. I highly doubt the neighbor's cat is the problem but is it the opposing? It looks like a young juvenile. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455712467.433020.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455712476.748119.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's the same result I got with cat food trying to catch and relocate a family of Opossums that kept getting into my neighbors yard and getting shredded by their dog.
One cat for every two opossums.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I suspected you may have caught a skunk...looks like opossum is the culprit!

It's likely there are others, I'd keep trapping for a couple weeks until the only thing you catch is that neighborhood cat.

FYI, outdoor cats are probably one of the most destructive mesocarnivores out there. it's a big conservation issue, you may have saved a bird/lizard/small mammal from predation by catching your neighbors cat! Here's a peer-reviewed article from Nature on the issue:
http://www.accord3.com/docs/Loss et al 2013 Impact of free ranging domestic cats on wildlife in U.pdf

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox... I apologize for using your thread for my personal vendetta @allegraf.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
The holes looks like the work of a raccoon. It will be interesting to see just how many different types of animals get trapped. You never knew how active the nightlife was going on in your yard while you slept.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Pretty sure that cat won't go into the trap again. But I've caught and released the same possum on several occasions. A couple of years ago--after I spotted a big 'coon stealing eggs right form the back end of the female tortoise that was laying them-- I set my traps out for a while. I caught a juvenile possum that had a Micky Mouse black marking on one of his ears. Since he was just a little bugger and not the raccoon I had seen I simply released him back into my yard. I think I caught that dopey little guy 3 or 4 times more in the follow week!
Yes, I know...I shouldn't have released back in the yard. But he was so cute. Besides, I think the presence of the traps spooked the raccoon away because he vanished from the area.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Another opossum. Glad I am thinning out the opossum population and relieved we haven't got a raccoon as yet. Maybe the opossums were the culprits all along.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Another opossum. Glad I am thinning out the opossum population and relieved we haven't got a raccoon as yet. Maybe the opossums were the culprits all along.

If your tally is up to three opossums, that sounds like a pretty safe assumption. Though, you never know with raccoons.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
-_-

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Don't be fooled into thinking the raccoons are gone, I find they almost know when to make their rounds,just when you think all is safe ,they are back.still battling them here.