Radiat heat panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Has any one used or is using radiat heat panels I would like some input I am building a new tort table an was thinking of using one but not sure about them the table will be an L shape 6'X6'X3' not sure of the wall yet should a 100 watt on one leg be all right I'll have 100 watt ceramic heater plus uvb heat bulb on the orther leg any input will help

thanks Coreyc

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Corey:

Welcome to the forum!!

I bought several radiant heat panels about 10 years ago and mounted them on walls in my tortoise sheds. I spent about $79 for each one. It was a total waste of money. They only provide heat directly in front of the panel. The heat doesn't go out more than a couple inches from the panel, then rises, and it doesn't add to the heating of the air inside the shed. So, the tortoise would have to be right up next to the panel to get anything out of it. Also, they weren't very sturdy. The tortoises bumping up against it caused it to deteriorate very quickly. I mounted one on the ceiling of one of the dog house type sheds. It lasted longer than the wall-mounted ones, however, I got more heat out of the black light bulb than I did out of the panel.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If used correctly, they can be great. They last a long time and can be very energy efficient and safe (no risk of fire or burning your tort). Where they would shine would be in a setting where you had say an outdoor shed with built in hide that had a ceiling only a few inches above the tort. Mounted correctly, and out of reach, but still close, this would be a great source of heat for the hide.

Another option would be for an indoor setup and using the panel to cover the warm end of a small tort table instead of using a CHE or red bulb. Redfoots, who prefer low light most of the time, would probably be a good species to use these on.

As noted, if you want them to provide a hot basking spot - then you'll be disappointed. Or if you expect them to raise the abmient temp of a large room or shed, again, not the best use for them. And for torts, as noted, be sure they will not come in direct contact with them, as torts are pretty tough on things, and you want your investment to last you the many years it was designed to be used for...

Status
Not open for further replies.