radiata humidity question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuttle

5 Year Member
can i ask if you know someone who have raised a radiata using the closed chamber enclosure that sir tom is using to promote smooth shell growth? i was thinking based on what i have read that radiata in madagascar has extreme temperatures low to high and dry to humid. do you think radiata can catch RI by using the closed chamber enclosure to reach 80 to 100 percent humidity entire enclosure? i have tried raising hatchling sulcatas closed chamber 80 to 100 percent humidty for 2 months so far normal smooth growth and no signs of RI but in radiatas do you think it can be done too? i just got a 3 inch radiata who has smooth shell i want him to retain them till he grows. hoping for your reply. thanks

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
skuttle said:
can i ask if you know someone who have raised a radiata using the closed chamber enclosure that sir tom is using to promote smooth shell growth? i was thinking based on what i have read that radiata in madagascar has extreme temperatures low to high and dry to humid. do you think radiata can catch RI by using the closed chamber enclosure to reach 80 to 100 percent humidity entire enclosure? i have tried raising hatchling sulcatas closed chamber 80 to 100 percent humidty for 2 months so far normal smooth growth and no signs of RI but in radiatas do you think it can be done too? i just got a 3 inch radiata who has smooth shell i want him to retain them till he grows. hoping for your reply. thanks

We raised our radiata with approx 80% humidity and never experienced an RI. We also kept temps up and ensured the substrate wasn't wet.

Mike

skuttle

5 Year Member
Thanks for replying sir! do you used closed chamber if not how do you maintain the humidity? My problem sir is if I use closed chamber on my tortoise I can maintain 80 percent humidity inside the whole enclosure but 50 percent of the time it shoots as high as 100 percent. So
Kinda worried with that high humidity. The temp of the enclosure lowest is at 26
Celsius. Thanks

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
skuttle said:
Thanks for replying sir! do you used closed chamber if not how do you maintain the humidity? My problem sir is if I use closed chamber on my tortoise I can maintain 80 percent humidity inside the whole enclosure but 50 percent of the time it shoots as high as 100 percent. So
Kinda worried with that high humidity. The temp of the enclosure lowest is at 26
Celsius. Thanks

They were raised in a 6'x4'x1' glass enclosure with lights hanging into the enclosure. Most of the enclosure was covered in plexi (except at the openings for the lights). I misted frequently and used under tank heaters, which kept humidity way up. Now that they're adults, the enclosures are open but I still spray frequently.

That sounds good for your lowest temp.

Mike

skuttle

5 Year Member
C and C Tortoises said:
skuttle said:
Celsius. Thanks

They were raised in a 6'x4'x1' glass enclosure with lights hanging into the enclosure. Most of the enclosure was covered in plexi (except at the openings for the lights). I misted frequently and used under tank heaters, which kept humidity way up. Now that they're adults, the enclosures are open but I still spray frequently.

That sounds good for your lowest temp.

Mike

can i ask what is the lowest temp radiata can handle without having RI in a high humidity enclosure 80 to 100? i have read sir toms thread sulcatas not less than 26 celsius on 80 to 100 humidity close type enclosure. correct me if im mistaken but i was thinking radiata can tolerate lower than 26? thanks

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I raised my first radiated in a closed chamber( mostly ):D and he has never been sick at all. He was 2 inches when I got him and is almost 8 inches now and I soaked him once and awhile. This tortoise drinks alot so I didnt soak him as much. I basically made sure the bottom part of the substrate was moist all the time except where they sleep. I poured cups of water under the basking spot light and misted. Higher humidity is more important when they are hatchlings and smaller in general so they develop smooth. 4,5,6 inches its not as important. Here is a pic of the tort that Im talking about, Im guessing he is 3 or 4 years old = I would have to get the tort book out to get his exact age

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
you did a great job, i didnt read the whole thread, just the last post and saw the picture. haha

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
nate.mann said:
you did a great job, i didnt read the whole thread, just the last post and saw the picture. haha

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Thank you Natester

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
bigred said:
nate.mann said:

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Thank you Natester

is this your permanent nickname for me? haha. if so i'll have to come up with one for you Red.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
nate.mann said:
bigred said:
nate.mann said:

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Thank you Natester

is this your permanent nickname for me? haha. if so i'll have to come up with one for you Red.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Yes Natester you might have to change your username :D Ive been called some pretty bad things in my day so go ahead have at it

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
bigred said:
nate.mann said:
bigred said:
nate.mann said:

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Thank you Natester

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Yes Natester you might have to change your username :D Ive been called some pretty bad things in my day so go ahead have at it

i might just have to do that. and i think im gonna start calling you Sun Tang, or Tang for short. (Sun Tang is what the red cream soda 'Big Red' used to be called). haha

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
nate.mann said:
bigred said:
nate.mann said:
bigred said:
nate.mann said:

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

Thank you Natester

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

i might just have to do that. and i think im gonna start calling you Sun Tang, or Tang for short. (Sun Tang is what the red cream soda 'Big Red' used to be called). haha

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

WOW I think you spent some quality time on that nickname ok its a deal

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
haha, back when Big Red was only available in texas and southern indiana (which is where my grandparents and mom lived) thats what it was called. they were just talking about it the other day too.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
sonykurniawan said:
Hi Bigred,
What is your temp and humidity level in that closed chamber?

With it being summer I have not been monitoring it because they are outside all day until it gets dark. I bring them in at night and they have a 60 watt heat emitter to keep them warm. This will all be changing with the weather changing. Im getting ready to build an insulated enclosure because they are getting bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.