Radiata soaking himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello, I have questions. My 10 cm radiata, seems very much like to spend his time soaking himself. He walks and then go inside the water dish and soaking himself a lot. Is this normal?

I still soak him once per day every morning under sun light, and I don't even sure if this is needed anymore, since he's done it himself a lot!!

As I know, before I adopt him, the pet owner told me that he never provided him with even a water dish and he thought that soaking once per day is enough for his water needs.

I don't think my radiata develops pyramiding at all now, but should I spray/wet his shell just to encourage a smooth grow?

Thanks folks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's great that he will soak himself. I would still do it for him on the days you don't seem him soak himself. Also spraying will help also.

ayS

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
as the above mentioned posted, i would still recommend soaking aswell.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I thought it's great at first, but he spends pretty long time in his water dish, so makes me a bit worry.

I notice he can stay there for like 15 - 30 minutes before start walking again, then come soaking again :)

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
There is no need for you to soak your rad manually if it can soak itself at will. Mine will wait in line or fight over space at the soaking dish! They can also put back a lot of water!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
coastal said:
There is no need for you to soak your rad manually if it can soak itself at will. Mine will wait in line or fight over space at the soaking dish! They can also put back a lot of water!

Lol, should be very fun watching them wait in line and fighting over the dish! Too bad radiata is expensive, I can only afford one for now.

Do I need to spray him to prevent pyramiding?
If yes then how frequent should I do that?

Thanks a lot!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
All you need is to keep the substrate moist.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Thanks all for replying. Last night I found mine trying to sleep inside the water dish before I moved him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.