Radiated --- coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Ok, so I am getting my first Radiated on Friday 29th. I am so excited to add another tortoise. I have done heaps of research and want to be sure about it all.

I will house him/her in a 4ftx2ft terrarium with a soil/hay substrate.
The tank will be in the sunroom, which is a constant 80+ degrees, with 85 to 90 humidity.
Feed: greens like my sulcata and leo seem to be what I have noticed, but with the addition of regular fruit???????

Any tips from existing Radiated owners would be great.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I'm pretty sure fruit should be kept to a minimum and grasses/greens fed as the bulk of the diet. Cactus pads & fruit can make up a portion of the diet but the typical sugary fruits should be avoided. Don't forget the humid hide if it is a youngster...

turtletania

5 Year Member
great to know about the fruit...... so basically the feeding schedule is similar/same as my sulcata and leo?

the radiated is 5.5inches. Not sure of age - any ideas based on size?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
turtletania said:
great to know about the fruit...... so basically the feeding schedule is similar/same as my sulcata and leo?

the radiated is 5.5inches. Not sure of age - any ideas based on size?
As mentioned above not too many fruits.. but time and time again I see this mentioned..." NOT THIS ... NEVER THAT" ... Bottom line is a "VARIED DIET IS BEST!.... Torts need sugars too ! And depending on species , activities, age, weather , all are contributing factors.... as to how much and how often . I have yet to see a healthy tort raised completely on a single food source. Buts that’s just my opinion.
At 5.5 I would suggest your little guys is around 3-5 years of age .

Congrads..... on your new precious jewel.
JD~ :)

Is your little guy a studbooked animal?

turtletania

5 Year Member
What is a studbooked animal?

And i will post photos when he/she arrives on Friday so hopefully we can find out he or she!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
turtletania said:
What is a studbooked animal?

And i will post photos when he/she arrives on Friday so hopefully we can find out he or she!
" Most" radiated's that have entered into the USA legally and are captive bred have a number. Sorta like a VIN number on a car. This way you can trace the linage and genetics of the actual tortoise. Who the parents are...ect...

JD~:)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
No fruit, we feed alot of cactus and let them graze at will. They are very hardy and rewarding!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Greg, is fruit bad for aldabras? Because I'm picturing the Aldabra Atoll with plenty of fruit (since there are fruit bats).

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
tortoises101 said:
Greg, is fruit bad for aldabras? Because I'm picturing the Aldabra Atoll with plenty of fruit (since there are fruit bats).

Whoops, wrong thread to ask this. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.