Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I need some info from the Radiated keepers out there. I always thought this species was unattainable, so I have never really studied up on them. Recently, a couple of friends out there in the reptile world have offered them to me. I've been doing the typical google search type research and I've spent a couple hours looking over old posts here on the forum and I'm still left with a few questions.

1. If I do not cross state lines, do I need a permit of any kind to buy, sell, possess or breed this species?
2. How hardy are they? Do they compare in hardiness to any other more common species like Leopards or CDTs?
3. Diet seems pretty straight forward, but are they more of a leaf eater or grass eater? Habitat descriptions just aren't clear on this.
4. I recently gave up on attaining pancakes because of their generally shy nature. How are the Radiateds? Do they compare in personality to any of the more common species as far as being outgoing, interested and unafraid? Just looking for generalities here.
5. I'm gathering that temps ought to be a little less extreme and less variable than some species. By that I mean lower highs and higher lows than say for a Russian or Leopard. What should the temps be? Day? Night? Basking spot?
6. The internet sites say they come from the drier more open parts of Southwestern Madagascar. So, how well do they tolerate humidity? Are they best kept on the dry side? Are they prone to respiratory tract infections like the stars?

Thanks people. There might be one more soon joining your ranks.

Dud

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tom said:
I need some info from the Radiated keepers out there. I always thought this species was unattainable, so I have never really studied up on them. Recently, a couple of friends out there in the reptile world have offered them to me. I've been doing the typical google search type research and I've spent a couple hours looking over old posts here on the forum and I'm still left with a few questions.

1. If I do not cross state lines, do I need a permit of any kind to buy, sell, possess or breed this species?
Hey Tom :D
i kept radiatas for a while now.. i think i can answer one or two question of yours
i dont live in US so i cant really answer this.. sorry :)

2. How hardy are they? Do they compare in hardiness to any other more common species like Leopards or CDTs?
they're tough .. i kept redfoots and forsten and had a chance to kept a sulcatas , stars and leo's before.. these guys are tough.. not as tough as sulcata though .. :p

3. Diet seems pretty straight forward, but are they more of a leaf eater or grass eater? Habitat descriptions just aren't clear on this.
i give hibiscus leaves as a staple .. fruits (pineapple and strawberry) once every two weeks ..

well tom its true there arent many literature that specificly shows us how do these torts live in the wild .. how they habitat should be etc

but you could check on this http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Gradiatacare.htm

that should give you on how the enclosure should be :D

4. I recently gave up on attaining pancakes because of their generally shy nature. How are the Radiateds? Do they compare in personality to any of the more common species as far as being outgoing, interested and unafraid? Just looking for generalities here.
most of the radiata i ever kept and seen usually have those kind of personality.. but i've had one who are very shy and only come out when its feeding time.. guess u never really know whats in the torts personality lols :p

5. I'm gathering that temps ought to be a little less extreme and less variable than some species. By that I mean lower highs and higher lows than say for a Russian or Leopard. What should the temps be? Day? Night? Basking spot?
when the sun gets up .. it gets around 32-39 C around here.. and in night it dropped around 26-30 C .. i use a 40W basking lamp on the side of the enclosure ..

6. The internet sites say they come from the drier more open parts of Southwestern Madagascar. So, how well do they tolerate humidity? Are they best kept on the dry side? Are they prone to respiratory tract infections like the stars?
cant really answer this :D .. but they are more adaptable and hardy than stars.. and they dont get RNS so easily..

we'll be waiting tom.. its great to see one more experienced and dedicated keeper joining the ranks to keep this species from extinction :D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
You do NOT need a permit to possess or breed the species, but you will need a CBW permit (from USFWS) to transport the species across state lines. So, if you want to sell your offspring to another state or purchase animals from a different state, you better have that permit.

I think they are hardier than leopards. I don't know what a CDT is...California Desert Tortoise? If so, that depends because a desert tortoise is very hardy in it's natural distribution but not the case in Alaska or Maine, etc. Radiated tortoises are the hardiest tortoise I have kept out of redfoots, sri lankan stars, and leopards. My russian tortoises are pretty tough as well.

I feed them both....a good mixture of grasses and leafy greens. A great source is a book called Tortoises and Turtles of Madagascar by Miguel Pedrono.

Radiateds are shy as hatchlings, but become pretty personable. I have heard them of being compared to redfoots. Mine aren't as personable as my redfoots, but mine are still pretty young.

I keep mine similar to a leopard or star tortoise, but they can tolerate cooler temps.

Google some of the weather in southern Madagascar. It is an island surrounded by water, so the humidity is higher than some people think. I keep the humidity up, but make sure they aren't wet. They aren't as susceptible to respiratory infections like the indian stars (burmese and sri lankans are more durable as well) in my experience. I live in the sonoran desert, so I have a constant battle of trying to keep it more humid. Many "desert" animals are not found in the heat of the day when it is the driest. Many are found when it is cooler and more humid. In Madagascar, Radiated tortoises are more commonly seen during the rainy season. During the dry season, the adults are less active and juveniles/babies tend to aestivate.

I wouldn't say ranks...haha. The radiated tortoises are fun, but expensive. If you get studbook animals, get a copy of the studbook and that is fun to check out as well. Check out www.madagascartortoises.org as well

By the way, I am half awake.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dud and GBP, Thanks so much for the great answers! This gives me some more info to go look up and salivate over.

Project Reef

5 Year Member
Dude, how long have you been feeding strawberries to your radiata? I was told to avoid all fruits.
I feed mine kale, dandelion, endive, mazuri, clovers, and purple flowers that fall off this huge tree we have along with pink flowers which I believe are hibiscus or something similar, he absolutely loves those flowers so I'm figuering they are OK?

Dud

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Project Reef said:
Dude, how long have you been feeding strawberries to your radiata? I was told to avoid all fruits.
I feed mine kale, dandelion, endive, mazuri, clovers, and purple flowers that fall off this huge tree we have along with pink flowers which I believe are hibiscus or something similar, he absolutely loves those flowers so I'm figuering they are OK?

a friend of mine told me to do that.. he kept radiateds for more than 5 years without a problem now

rad8ted92083

5 Year Member
I feed mine all kinds of fruit on a limited basis 2x a month they like watermelon alot

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
samstar said:
I sure do feel like picking up a Radiated now

Picking up a radiated isn't as cool as owning one?

Why on earth would you want a radiated? ;)

samstar

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
samstar said:
I sure do feel like picking up a Radiated now

Picking up a radiated isn't as cool as owning one?

Why on earth would you want a radiated? ;)

Just placed an order for one and will be getting it next weekend!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Congratulations! I am sure you will love your new radiated....make sure you share pics!

samstar

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
Congratulations! I am sure you will love your new radiated....make sure you share pics!

Thanks, will do first thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.