Radiated or Burmese Star?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi everyone, I know this question might bring up some differing opinions but I am contemplating purchasing a Radiated Tortoise or Burmese Star Tortoise. I have a source where I can buy some great tortoises right by where I live. I know I would need to apply for a permit for the Radiated tortoise but that is not the issue. I want to know which specie I should own. I was hoping some of you guys could give me your opinions of both species. Thanks for the help
:tort:
Ben

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
I personally breed Burmese and I have numerous Radiateds.
They are both awesome. Both hardy and both beautiful. Both fun and rewarding to work with.
I say get both!.

:)

Scott

PS, if your source starts with a K and ends with an N, you will get great animals...
Keep us posted!
Scott

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need a CBW permit if the animal is not being sold across state lines.

I agree with Scott on all counts. I like both species, but don't have a lot of experience with either. Ether way you can't go wrong.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Pick KS 2013 Male  c.JPG
Ben,
I have been working with Burmese Stars for sometime now and they are truely my love!!! Radiated are new to me. I have never produced them, we just added a bunch to our collection this season. If you are looking to breed either species in the future, Burmese Stars reach sexual maturity within 6-7 years for a female where in Radiateds females take atleast 10 years to start to produce.(If you are VERY LUCKY). I am just in love with Burms! They are also a VERY hardy species and can be very prolific, if the right conditions are met. (not very hard). But I am very bias to Burmese stars though! Also when it comes to buying and selling, Burmese are ALOT easier to purchase and sell and that just makes for a much bigger market. Don't get me wrong, we are loving our Radiateds, But I like my Burmese collection better!! You WILL love whichever species you go with. Good luck in your quest!!!!!

PS: Just Don't forget, being in NY, you need BOTH the Federal CBW and the NY State Endangered species permit , BEFORE taking any in your possession.

PS: Thanks Scott!!!!

Ken S

Last edited by a moderator:

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Tom, in NY, you need a special permit to own Radiateds.. lol
Not the CBW. The NYCFU

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
KenS said:
Ben,
I have been working with Burmese Stars for sometime now and they are truely my love!!! Radiated are new to me. I have never produced them, we just added a bunch to our collection this season. If you are looking to breed either species in the future, Burmese Stars reach sexual maturity within 6-7 years for a female where in Radiateds females take atleast 10 years to start to produce.(If you are VERY LUCKY). I am just in love with Burms! They are also a VERY hardy species and can be very prolific, if the right conditions are met. (not very hard). But I am very bias to Burmese stars though! Also when it comes to buying and selling, Burmese are ALOT easier to purchase and sell and that just makes for a much bigger market. Don't get me wrong, we are loving our Radiateds, But I like my Burmese collection better!! You WILL love whichever species you go with. Good luck in your quest!!!!!

PS: Just Don't forget, being in NY, you need BOTH the Federal CBW and the NY State Endangered species permit , BEFORE taking any in your possession.

PS: Thanks Scott!!!!

Ken S

PPS: The Federal CBW permit ONLY needed if you go OUT of NY state to obtain a Radiated tortoise.

skottip said:
Not the CBW. The NYCFU

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
What do you mean Ken? I was talking about Kevin...

lmfao

Wow, aren't you cocky? lol!

Hey, how about them RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
skottip said:
What do you mean Ken? I was talking about Kevin...

lmfao

OH!! He's a great guy as well!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Is there really a Kevin out there? That sells Burms? lol

Anyway, you know I was kidding.

Oh yea. How about them RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Aside from all the outlined factors the fact is radiated tortoises are visually more diverse then Burmese stars. If you plan to have more then one the radiated tortoise will be more rewarding as they grow and change. Burmese stars, you get what you get they do not grow new banding but will improve their existing banding with growth in most cases. It's more of a personal choice then anything else, it's likely you will end up with both in the long run anyhow. They just go hand in hand, as you will learn. Of the two, Burmese will mature at a slightly smaller size if space is an issue for you. I have exceptional animals of both species myself, but even the best Burmese is no replacement for a radiated to me anyhow.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Thanks everyone for the replies I'm still not sure which species i will get just yet but which ever I purchase I am sure I will be very happy! -Ben

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
skottip said:
Not the CBW. The NYCFU

Thanks. I did not know this. It seems like they have a lot of "NYCFU" laws there in NY...

Ken, I hear Florida is really nice, just in case you ever wanted to move. Weather is great here too, and we have fewer bugs. :D

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Isnt there a considerable price difference?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
AnnV said:
Isnt there a considerable price difference?

From what I have seen, they are similarly priced. I can get hatchlings of either species for the same price.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
skottip said:
I personally breed Burmese and I have numerous Radiateds.
They are both awesome. Both hardy and both beautiful. Both fun and rewarding to work with.
I say get both!.

Scott

PS, if your source starts with a K and ends with an N, you will get great animals...
Keep us posted!
Scott

I will agree with you. I love them both too and wish one day I can breed them too.