radiated tortoise color?

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
It was attempted with Lonesome George in the Galapagos in desperation but it was found he was infertile.

wccmog10

Georgia
I have heard of it being tried- but I have never heard of a successful attempt. The attempts I have heard of were on the Yangtze giant soft shell (rafetus). Maybe that has changed recently.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have never heard of AI in tortoises has it been done dose anyone know? Interesting stuff!

It has been done, but not very successfully. It was attempted at Honolulu Zoo for several years back in the 1970's with a small group of A. yniphora (2.4). The results were the death of one male when his penis ultimately failed to retract any longer, became infected from constantly dragging on the ground, and caused a life-ending infection. It also resulted in the sterilization of one female when her ovaries became infected from the repeated AI attempts and had to be removed to save her life. She is still there at Honolulu Zoo as an exhibit animal today.

Only one baby resulted from that group of adults, and it is not really clear whether it was the result of artificial insemination or perhaps a natural breeding. At any rate, it got MBD and died when it was about 11 years old.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
wow they seem to very so much
as long as i have your ear can i ask a few more questions?

after I get radiated tortoises would I need a CBW permit to move them with me to another state If I relocate?

Also Ive been looking for a breeder near me because i don't yet have a permit and have talked to Jimmy Chu he is a member here so that gives me some confidence but i wondered if you or anyone else has had dealings with him and can give feedback

I have done business with Jimmy Chu, and would have no reason not to recommend him. Last I talked to him his permit did expire, he was only doing a few tortoises of higher quality and more focused on family and kids now a days. He has a few things from me.

Just as a side note, the sire/dam pair that produced the female in question are still breeding, in fact laying second clutch today. While they have produced many very yellow babies since, like Bill said one in a few thousand odds to reproduce that again.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have done business with Jimmy Chu, and would have no reason not to recommend him. Last I talked to him his permit did expire, he was only doing a few tortoises of higher quality and more focused on family and kids now a days. He has a few things from me.

Just as a side note, the sire/dam pair that produced the female in question are still breeding, in fact laying second clutch today. While they have produced many very yellow babies since, like Bill said one in a few thousand odds to reproduce that again.
Great thanks for your input!

Olddog

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
It has been done, but not very successfully. It was attempted at Honolulu Zoo for several years back in the 1970's with a small group of A. yniphora (2.4). The results were the death of one male when his penis ultimately failed to retract any longer, became infected from constantly dragging on the ground, and caused a life-ending infection. It also resulted in the sterilization of one female when her ovaries became infected from the repeated AI attempts and had to be removed to save her life. She is still there at Honolulu Zoo as an exhibit animal today.

Only one baby resulted from that group of adults, and it is not really clear whether it was the result of artificial insemination or perhaps a natural breeding. At any rate, it got MBD and died when it was about 11 years old.

A paper detailing part of this ill-fated effort may be read at the link below. Readers may also note the author of last reference (1973) in the paper.

From: Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Turtles & Tortoises: Conservation and Captive Husbandry, 127-137, 1991. Reprinted California Turtle & Tortoise Club.

Captive Husbandry and Conservation of the Madagascar Ploughshare Tortoise, Geochelone yniphora
by James O. Juvik, Duane E. Meier and Sean McKeown

https://tortoise.org/archives/yniphora.html

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
That is terrible. That was back before they knew MBD is caused in part by a lack of calcium absorbtion from UVB I believe. I bet they kept it indoors away from natural sunlight as well. What a sad story. It is infuriating how our government is preventing better programs to take place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK "High Yellow" refers to their skin??????? @Will ?
I always thought the high yellow was on the shell. All I the ones I have seen called high yellow had lots of yellow showing. They are amazingly beautiful tortoises.

Last edited: