Radiated tortoise humidifier questions

Naga Morich

Location (City and/or State)
Croatia, Umag(Umago)
Hi everyone!
I just want to share with you my humidifier think over.
I'm asking my self if it's a good thing for radiated tortoise enclosure, for hatchlings to install humidifier!
I reeded lot of conversations about that but didn't get really any satisfying answer.
The need to bath hatchlings daily or every other day is must do thing, that's for me without the question.
So I was thinking to my self why not to install the humidifier and control it with the controller!?
Because if the hatchling need to be soaked daily, because they require watter, moisture for hydration the humidifier and daily spraying of substrate for me will reduce the need to everyday soaking, or I'm wrrong?
I was thinking to set humidity in the environment with the controller to 80-85% in day time and 90-95% in the night time.
Of course they must also be provided with a place with less moisture during the day time, for example by placing a basking or heating lamp in a corner of the enclosure to dry out the surrounding moisture but be careful with the high temp. of course.
I was thinking to set up this humidifier but only for hatchlings till there 3-4 years old!
So, what do you think about this my friends?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are not using a closed chamber then a humidifier will not work very well as it along with the heat is just rising out of the enclosure.
With a closed chamber enclosure, once the humidity is at its correct % then adding more water to the enclosure is only a once or twice a week thing.
Either way, the babies still need soaking daily until about 1, 2 is better and then it can drop to every other day until they are 3-4 then as more adult size once a month depending on how hot it is. Sometimes they may need more.
Humidifiers are not that safe to use and it should be a warm mist one if you are going to use one.

Naga Morich

Croatia, Umag(Umago)
If you are not using a closed chamber then a humidifier will not work very well as it along with the heat is just rising out of the enclosure.
With a closed chamber enclosure, once the humidity is at its correct % then adding more water to the enclosure is only a once or twice a week thing.
Either way, the babies still need soaking daily until about 1, 2 is better and then it can drop to every other day until they are 3-4 then as more adult size once a month depending on how hot it is. Sometimes they may need more.
Humidifiers are not that safe to use and it should be a warm mist one if you are going to use one.
Dear Wellington,
Thank you for your reply!
I use closed chamber and my humifieder is located in the small heated room where I keep my terrarium, so the temp of mist will be about the room temp. cca: 75F.
I check the humidifier every day, of course with all the other equipment.
Thx!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Dear Wellington,
Thank you for your reply!
I use closed chamber and my humifieder is located in the small heated room where I keep my terrarium, so the temp of mist will be about the room temp. cca: 75F.
I check the humidifier every day, of course with all the other equipment.
Thx!
I see. If the humidifier is for the sole purpose of the closed chamber it's not doing anything really for it, so not needed. If you use it for other reasons too, then it's not hurting anything either.
With or without the humidifier, daily soaks are still needed.

Naga Morich

Croatia, Umag(Umago)
I see. If the humidifier is for the sole purpose of the closed chamber it's not doing anything really for it, so not needed. If you use it for other reasons too, then it's not hurting anything either.
With or without the humidifier, daily soaks are still needed.
Dear Wellington,
Once again thank you very much for your prompt reply!
I will soak my babys every day as you advised me.
We will see how it will be with the humidifier, if nothing else at least the plants in the terrarium will get moisture :)
Best regards...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone!
I just want to share with you my humidifier think over.
I'm asking my self if it's a good thing for radiated tortoise enclosure, for hatchlings to install humidifier!
I reeded lot of conversations about that but didn't get really any satisfying answer.
The need to bath hatchlings daily or every other day is must do thing, that's for me without the question.
So I was thinking to my self why not to install the humidifier and control it with the controller!?
Because if the hatchling need to be soaked daily, because they require watter, moisture for hydration the humidifier and daily spraying of substrate for me will reduce the need to everyday soaking, or I'm wrrong?
I was thinking to set humidity in the environment with the controller to 80-85% in day time and 90-95% in the night time.
Of course they must also be provided with a place with less moisture during the day time, for example by placing a basking or heating lamp in a corner of the enclosure to dry out the surrounding moisture but be careful with the high temp. of course.
I was thinking to set up this humidifier but only for hatchlings till there 3-4 years old!
So, what do you think about this my friends?
Humidifiers should not be used in tortoise enclosures. They should not be breathing those tiny water droplets, and this is not the same as humidity which is moisture in its gaseous state. Maintain the needed humidity by using a closed chamber and reducing ventilation.

They do not need a drier area during the day, as their environment should not be wet. Humidity does not equal wetness.

Babies should be soaked every day, not every other.

This species does not need a basking lamp.

Naga Morich

Croatia, Umag(Umago)
Humidifiers should not be used in tortoise enclosures. They should not be breathing those tiny water droplets, and this is not the same as humidity which is moisture in its gaseous state. Maintain the needed humidity by using a closed chamber and reducing ventilation.

They do not need a drier area during the day, as their environment should not be wet. Humidity does not equal wetness.

Babies should be soaked every day, not every other.

This species does not need a basking lamp.
Dear Tom,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
I'm a little bit worried and confused what you said... that the tiny drops of water in those moisture from humidifier isn't good for tortoise. I didn't know that! I recognized that my humidifier works a little because the usual humidity in the terrarium is 75-90% depending on day/night cicle. But now I am in doubt to get the humidifier out of my system. I was just thinking that maintaining the humidity a little bit higher for juveniles won't harm them.
Thx

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Dear Tom,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
I'm a little bit worried and confused what you said... that the tiny drops of water in those moisture from humidifier isn't good for tortoise. I didn't know that! I recognized that my humidifier works a little because the usual humidity in the terrarium is 75-90% depending on day/night cicle. But now I am in doubt to get the humidifier out of my system. I was just thinking that maintaining the humidity a little bit higher for juveniles won't harm them.
Thx
You can get a pump for $50USD, i use a pump, a hydrometer and some sprinkler heads. Works very well to maintain humidity.