Radiated vs Indian star

zovick

10 Year Member!
The Radiated Tortoise is a much larger tortoise than the Indian Star. Additionally, they are usually a rounder tortoise in overall shape, and are more highly domed than the Indian Star Tortoise, which is more long than round and is not as conspicuously dome-shaped. I have owned several Radiated Tortoises reaching SCL lengths of over 17" and weights of up to 32-34 lbs. The largest Indian Stars I have owned maxed out at roughly 6-7" SCL for males and about 8.5" for females. I cannot recall ever owning one that weighed much over 8-9 lbs.

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
The Radiated Tortoise is a much larger tortoise than the Indian Star. Additionally, they are usually a rounder tortoise in overall shape, and are more highly domed than the Indian Star Tortoise, which is more long than round and is not as conspicuously dome-shaped. I have owned several Radiated Tortoises reaching SCL lengths of over 17" and weights of up to 32-34 lbs. The largest Indian Stars I have owned maxed out at roughly 6-7" SCL for males and about 8.5" for females. I cannot recall ever owning one that weighed much over 8-9 lbs.
Wow, interesting thank you!

sushant777

Mumbai,Maharashtra,india
Nice info man.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
I have not owned Radiated tortoises, or Burmese Star, but I do own Indian stars, and I know some things to further contrast what has been provided. Radiated take much longer to reach maturity, greater than a decade. Indians are a little over half a decade. They both have different color patterns. The one on my piciure, and the one on sushant are Indian stars. See how there are between six and eight light yellow lines every carapace peace. The similar burmese star, which is similar in patterning and genetics to the Indian star, has exactly six lines per scute. The photo on Zovick's icon is of a radiated tortoise with atypical quantity of yellow coloration, to me, that pattern seems more like an explosive burst of yellow per scute. Both stars are members of the family geochelone, Geochelone Elegans (Indian), and Geochelone Platyona (Burmese). The burmese is closer in size to the radiated (astrochelys radiata), which is from a completely different family. The Indian is the least hardy of the group, and prone to chronic respiratory infection.

They are all on the endangered species list. It is highly discouraged to keep Radiated tortoises or Burmese Star unless you intend to breed them. The Burmese star tortoises are EXTINCT in the wild, and the Radiated tortoise is listed as critically endangered. The Indian star tortoise is listed as vulnerable on the endangered list.

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
Nice info man.
I have a flatter Indian star male that is 750 grams around a pound and a half, is less than six inches and for the most part has not grown much longer in the last year. I have a 7.5" female higher domed and weighs three pounds. Every inch a tortoise grows is exponential growth so you have to keep that in mind. There is a big weight difference between a 7" and a 15" tortoise.

ariesxiao

Seattle
I also heard Indian star is very hard to raise. They are easy to pyramid ( it is very common to see wild Indian stars to be pyramid which are hard to see for other species), easy to get urinary stone disease, diarrhea and die without any sign. Radiated tortoise is much better and easier to raise than star tortoise. Burmese star tortoise is also much better