Radiateds In Humid Environments

bandofett

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, North Carolina
I know a lot of keepers keep these guys in the South, which is a humid environment. I know Stars and Leopards can be sensitive to this environment and susceptible to respiratory problems. Is this an issue with Radiateds kept outdoors?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about stars or rads, but leopards have no problems with it and respiratory unless they get too low of temps. Also any kept with high humidity and cooler temps will get sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know a lot of keepers keep these guys in the South, which is a humid environment. I know Stars and Leopards can be sensitive to this environment and susceptible to respiratory problems. Is this an issue with Radiateds kept outdoors?

This is an old mistaken notion from the past.

People in FL have no problem keeping any species. The only issue you would have is if you let the tortoise get COLD with higher humidity. Keep them warm and you won't have an issue.

navyblu

5 Year Member
I confirm the above from Wellington and Tom, I have adults and subadult Sri Stars, Leopards (Gpp and Gpb) and Radiated have had them for 4 years down here....they do great as long as you don't let them get cold.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
The only issue with high humidity is the possibility of shell fungus. As long as you keep a good look out for any changes in the shell, there should be no issues in that environment