radicchio as a staple -thoughts?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
Hey y'all, I found online that raddichio makes a good staple but it seems very cabbage like \ lettuce like, which I know is not a good staple. What is the knowledge consensus?

I should say that they do get a good variety of leaves - collards, dandelion greens, kale, spring mix, etc. But they freakin LOVE raddichio. If I put some in there mixed with other greens they will only eat raddichio, even though I KNOW they must still be hungry because they normally eat a giant pile of greens... It's like they are on a hunger strike until they get more! Silly torts.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I personally would not use radicchio as a STAPLE. It actually ranks very low with me on grocery greens I would consider using! I would use more romaine before radicchio! Better still Endive if you have to go grocery greens.
Compared to Romaine, Radicchio has Less than 1/2 the fiber, 1/2 the calcium, yet more phosphorus (1:2 CA/P ratio vs. 1:1), 1/400th the vitamin A, and slightly higher carbs and protein.
Compared to Endive, Radicchio has 1/3 the fiber, 40% of the calcium, and 1.5 times the phosphorus (endive is 2:1 CA/P), 1/100th the vitamin A, and higher in Carbs and protein.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My tortoises love it too, but they don't get it more than a couple times a month. Variety is the spice of life.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You seem to be feeding a good mixed diet, so a bit of raddichio would be fine.
But not as a staple, just part of a mix of foods.