Rads or mix breed?

jonckt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Land Below The Wind
Hi, I saw this rads was selling in Malaysia, to me it looks like a mix breed. It's only 2 and a half inches big.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401367426.729869.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401367452.713270.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401367472.979957.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401367493.413632.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401367518.163075.jpg

Jc

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
Are u sure? That guy told me it's a radiated. And I thought it's a mix breed of rads and ploughshare.

Jc

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It could be. I'd hope it's not. But I have seen plenty of photos of angonaka that radiate like the radiated. It does kinda look like a hybrid. However the prefrontal scales on the nose and shape tells me it an angonaka. I'm definitely no expert on these guys. Sam would know

@emystiong

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
Hope Sam will comment something on it. The seller was on the other side of my country, need 2 days at least by courier, scare the fellow die when it arrive here. Since he was still a baby.

Jc

glaerey

5 Year Member
Tats a beautiful radiata! Definitely not a angonoka. Baby angonoka looks like this.

1401378086158.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I don't think it's a pure Ploughshare, but it's definitely not a pure radiata. Look at the colors before growth-the center light area-, and the lower scutes. No way those are radiata. The radiata colors being later growth would also make sense, that is how hybrids tend to turn out if you look at pardalis x carbonaria, radiata x carbonaria, hermanni x graeca etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I vote for mixed breed....or rather, hybrid species.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Pretty little thing but it is weird looking one.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Pure radiated with weird marking . If price resonable just buy . Bought and grow some with similar marking before ( thinking they may be hybrid ) but result turn out R

But at 2+inch bit young to be taped , boxed and void of water or food for a few days !!
But hey , thats how they reach our shores in the first place ( be it from Thailand or Madagascar )

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
If in doubt ask for the underside , plastron picture just like Indian star and Burmese star ...... !!

Cheers
SAM

Sent from my iPhone

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
Someone post it on the net, since the picture got a Chinese website posted down there, would have the Chinese breed it.

It loses it's originality ..... Sad......

Jc

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Radiated, very common to look like this in the Asian countries. Much larger faded scutes and very round. It's a neat look, almost non existent in the US.