Raising a sulcata in Fresno, CA

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno
We have been raising a sulcata in Fresno since June 2020. Acquired as a hatchling of about 40 g, he weighed a little over 1 kg yesterday. We've learned a lot from searching the forums, but still made some mistakes and the learning process is ongoing. Here are some pictures of our tortoise scooter.

Matt

FB_IMG_1590959307498.jpgIMG_20200401_173857_973.jpgFB_IMG_1590959299005.jpg

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Your Tortie Guy is very handsome! you are doing a great job! Do you have a heated house for him in the winter?

Fresno
Your Tortie Guy is very handsome! you are doing a great job! Do you have a heated house for him in the winter?
Thanks, I really appreciate it. No, we don't yet have a heated house for winter. We plan to keep him inside this winter, moving him outside permanently next spring. Between now and then we plan to remodel our backyard, to include the things he needs for his outdoor house (mainly power, but also beefing up walls and gates). That is the plan anyway. Could change depending on how big he is in the fall. I have seen the plans for houses here but I am sure to have questions as we work on them.

Matt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise looks great, but I think you got the dates wrong. June 2020 he was 40 grams, and in July 2020 he's 1000? Or you raised him from a 40 gram hatching somewhere else and just moved to Fresno with a 1000 gram tortoise last month?

Fresno
Your tortoise looks great, but I think you got the dates wrong. June 2020 he was 40 grams, and in July 2020 he's 1000? Or you raised him from a 40 gram hatching somewhere else and just moved to Fresno with a 1000 gram tortoise last month?
Thanks for the positive feedback and catching my mistake. We have learned a lot from your posts.
We got him in June 2019 as a 40 grams hatchling and now he weighs a little over a kilogram.

Matt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the positive feedback and catching my mistake. We have learned a lot from your posts.
We got him in June 2019 as a 40 grams hatchling and now he weighs a little over a kilogram.

Matt
That sounds more reasonable. :)

1000 grams in its first year is excellent growth, and that reflects excellent care! Well done!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
LOL Matt! ?

I don't have sulcatas, I would Love, LoVe, LOVE to have some sulcatas!!! ???

But I have 2 Manouria emys phayrei (they are only the 4 largest tortloise species) and 5 turtles. NO ROOM! ?

So I am enjoying pictures of your handsome Tortie and drooling...?

Have a great rest of your weekend and enjoy your Tortie Guy!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
No steroids pleeze! ? Sorry could not help myself!

Fresno
LOL Matt! ?

I don't have sulcatas, I would Love, LoVe, LOVE to have some sulcatas!!! ???

But I have 2 Manouria emys phayrei (they are only the 4 largest tortloise species) and 5 turtles. NO ROOM! ?

So I am enjoying pictures of your handsome Tortie and drooling...?

Have a great rest of your weekend and enjoy your Tortie Guy!
Thanks. The species you have is so beautiful.
We get a lot of pleasure watching our tortoise. It relieves a lot of stress and anxiety.

M.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Thanks. The species you have is so beautiful.
We get a lot of pleasure watching our tortoise. It relieves a lot of stress and anxiety.

M.
MEPs are such funny torts! I love mine, but sometimes they act like ungrateful stinky shelled cows. ?Yes, i love watching my torts. Very peaceful.