Ranavirus infections in Terrapene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
Hello. I am posting this to make everyone who is not aware of it aware. Ranavirus is a DNA virus that was first describe from frogs. A few years ago it jumped to Terrapene. It has a predicted 90% mortality rate. I have been aware of it for a while then about two weeks ago it hit my colony I lost so far about half of them only 4 are showing signs of recovery. Three more are still alive but I fear not for long. Here are some links that I though may help you to understand what is going on.
http://www.wildliferesponse.org/ind...s-tadpoles-in-montgomery-county-maryland.html

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_information/other_diseases/ranavirus.jsp

http://www.jwildlifedis.org/content/47/3/759.full.pdf

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I have never heard of this dreadful virus and the fear that there is no cure insight is most concerning. I wish your colony a speedy recovery and I am sorry to hear about your losses.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
so sorry for your loss but thanks for sharing, it may save others!

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
How was it diagnosed in your colony? What species of turtles were affected? Do you know the route of exposure?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Thank you for your sympathy. The servival of some still lends hope for the species. I diagnosed it based on symptoms and lethality. All Terrapene are potentially infected, as well as all other members of their lineage (N.A. Wood Turtles, Spotted Turtles,Blanding's Turtle and Bog Turtles) this and true Tortoises like Gopher's and Desert. So far as transmition goes three possible routs for my colony that I can think of either my shoes had some contaminated soil from a hike I when on the same week my colony was infected ( which when I thought back I did not see any frogs or toads in the area wher I had previously seen many) or some how they were exposed to a wild frog that lives in the marsh behind my father's house (the colony is at his house) or an ifected mosquito. Though unfortunately we dont know enough about transmition to say how it move. I am not how ever a virologist so I'm not really the best person to ask about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry this hit your shelled friends. How's things going with the sick ones you weren't sure was going to make it?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sorry your collection suffered. Many infectious deadly outcomes are more common than though of in chelonia. Its just lack of information, and lab research. Are you sending any deceased specimens to labs for testing, and have you tested the rest of the colony? Results to find out what living or deceased specimens you have can be way more help to viruses like these than you can imagine.

Here is a good article on the lab that does all my testing and leads the nation currently in research and development of exotic strains and under studies or lack of data viruses. April is a great researcher. Ranavirus I believe(don't quote for certain but maybe Evan, or Todd can chime in, they are DVM) herpes strains, or mycoplasmas. I don't know it gets very scientific and detailed. But I do know this is a bad thing to contract.

Anyways here is an article or study april did in her research (still currently at UFL) on Iridovirsues, are classifieds similarly to ranaviruses, they are a DNA attachment host specific very similar to ranavirius.

BTW if you have a vet you use have them contact UFL to do test on your remaining animals for testing.

http://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/UF/E0/01/60/21/00001/johnson_a.pdf

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Isn't Ranavirus a really virulent herpes strain? My Sophie was diagnosed with herpes by one vet, but when I took her to another they cultured her mucous and found it to be a Vibrio bacteria. It's a nightmare.
Best wishes,
Thea

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
thea lester said:
Isn't Ranavirus a really virulent herpes strain? My Sophie was diagnosed with herpes by one vet, but when I took her to another they cultured her mucous and found it to be a Vibrio bacteria. It's a nightmare.
Best wishes,
Thea

yes it is. The thing with herpes virus, there are many many strains of it. Some can be of no harm, and some can wipe out collections very quick.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
thea lester said:
Best wishes,
Thea

Herpes and Ranavirus are not related.

Saloli said:
thea lester said:
Best wishes,
Thea

Herpes and Ranavirus are not related. As far as testing no I have not, I burried my dead, and the survivors are recovering. The symtoms are relatively easy to diagnose. Though I do have favorites among the dead, they where never pets as with most here. I keep them as a way of helping their species. The ones that are still with me give me some hope for their species, though with that being said it may reduce population densities to the point of none viability.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
The more I read about this virus the more terrifying it is. I'm so sorry for your losses.
Yeah, it's not a herpes virus, like the 1st vet told me. It's loosely related but in a totally different Family; the Iridoviridae.
Thank you for sharing your information with all of us, I imagine it's not easy for you. Those links are very informative. What a horrible situation. Know that we are thinking of you.
Wishing you the best for you and yours,
Thea

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
The ones who have survived are recovering. I'm hoping that I'll come accross other resistant turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.