RATS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
I let my dogs out this morning to do their business and much to my surprise two rats fled Walter's outside enclosure! Now I am freaked out about leaving Walter out in his enclosure when I am gone to work during the day. Any suggestions on how to rid myself of these pests? I have tried traps but nothing seems to work. I dont want to use anything lethal to the dogs or Walter as the backyard is his food source -- His enclosure is one of those blue kiddie pools (with substrate/water/hide/plants etc) and it has a playpen all the way around it with chicken wire on top to keep the french fry crows out. Its beautiful here in So. Cal and Walter (Sulcata) loves to be outside during the day. Also, you know if rats were in his enclosure there is rat poop.... is that going to hurt Walter if he eats it? Walter is approximately one year old about 6 inches long and weights just over 10oz. - will they try to eat him during the day?????

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Rats are an issue for sure. They will chew legs. I would eliminate overnight stays until you get the rat situation under control.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Two plans of action are possible. Make Walter's habitat less desirable for rats. Kill the rats. They go on their own, or you make them go.

Rat traps inside something with an opening that Walter can not access. A larger metal can, a small wood box, even a black plastic flower pot that most nursery plants come in, two tied or pull-tied together, all with a gap the rats can get into, with a rat trap, the kind that snaps. Bait it with bacon or peanut butter.

Unlike mouse traps, rat traps can actualy break a finger, be careful.

Rats invade zoo exhibits frequently. I had made concrete domes, like what is now used for backyard sound system speakers or small ones for key hides. The trap is put underneath the dome. This way the birds or small mamals don't have access.

Will

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Thank you Will. I have tried traps w/ peanut butter in several areas of our yard but with no success.... they are pretty smart rodents. I will try the bacon inside of Walter's outside habitat and see if that is too much for them to resist. I had just reseeded Walter's area and apparently that is what they were after.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have rats here in Chicago. We set traps all the time. If there is other food sources, they will go for that sometimes more then the traps. Also, be sure to disguise the traps a little so they aren't able to be so Leary of them. We use peanut butter also, which does work the best, but also switch it up.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
We have cats living outside....so they take care of that.but if u use traps put peanutbutter on it,u will catch them within in an hour. :D

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
neighbor had a rat digging a hole a month ago next to his house. He was setting out bird seed and bread pieces for the birds and am thinking that is what attracted the rat. he finally caught it with a rat sticky trap. He had no luck with a havahart live trap or snap trap. Rats are known to use the same trail so might be a good spot to set a trap.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
oscar said:
neighbor had a rat digging a hole a month ago next to his house. He was setting out bird seed and bread pieces for the birds and am thinking that is what attracted the rat. he finally caught it with a rat sticky trap. He had no luck with a havahart live trap or snap trap. Rats are known to use the same trail so might be a good spot to set a trap.

As Oscar said, sticky rat traps work great. But the placement is the most important part. They tend to be creatures of habit, so try to observe their "paths" and then place the trap.
Ialso have good luck with rat poison, but obviously keep it away from the tort. I try to find the entry point to the back yard and put the poison in an out-of-the-way place near there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had rats get into and out of sticky traps.

Snap traps work, but they have to be used correctly. I recently had some friends who claimed they don't work, and after following these tips, they were killing them left and right. Get the kind from Victor with the brass trip plate with the triangular spike. You will know it went you see it. Bend the spike so its pointing strait up. Then get some dog or cat kibble that has a hole in it, and impale it firmly on the spike. You can usually get free samples of pet food from the pet stores, so just pick one that has holes in the kibble. Push too hard and you'll break the kibble. Don't push hard enough and they can lift it off without tripping the trap. Peanut butter and things of that nature have never worked well for me. You need something highly attractive, that will last a while, and that will not be easy for them to remove.

Once you have the right trap and its baited correctly, you must place it correctly. Rats follow the areas where the wall meets the ground, they don't usually just walk around out in the open. Place the trip plate end of the trap up against the wall. Since Walter is inside at night, you can do this over night and remove the traps each morning. I would place a half dozen traps in areas near the enclosure where you think they might be traveling, (like whatever direction you saw them run), and inside the enclosure.

The rat poop is not likely to hurt him, but it could if the rats are carrying some pathogens.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
So I used the traps I had (snap traps but the base is plastic - they easier and less dangerous to set than the old rickety wood ones). I decided since the seed was what they were going after I would make it irresistable for them and not only put seed but also a nugget of chipped beef to sweeten the deal. I place all of this in a cigar box inside of Walter's outdoor enclosure with the only part exposed being the food. Sure enough it snapped at 3am and I ran outside to see claim my victory and that sneaky #@$! got away, trap snapped and flipped upside down. So this morning i took apart the outside enclosure and dumped the contents leaving them with nothing to visit. I called an exterminator and he will come set bait traps where they are running about and secure them so my dogs cannot get to them. Its crazy how bold these critters are.... I was out back around 5:30 last night clipping grass for Walter and I could see them (mulitple) running the fence line behind my shrubs. We use to be able to use the snap traps with much success but they are smart and soon learned to avoid them. You would think it would not be this difficult to get rid of rats in a suburban neighborhood but once my neighbor cut down his palm trees they all decided to rehome in my yard.... 1/4 acre is a paradise to them when shrubs line the entire fence line. UGH.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
The plastic traps are only good for little mice, I have used them, and even at that, I lost a couple. They are not very strong. Hope your pests will soon be gone. I'd hate the idea of rats or traps being anywhere near my torts. Best of luck to you!! :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you wrap string around the bait pan, then smear peanut butter around, under, into the string, that'll catch 'em. You can also bait with sardines, but you want to tie the sardine to it.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Cemmons12 you are certainly right about that.... no more games though - I am bringing out the professionals to ensure my Walter has a nice safe place to grow up. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts --

Yagyujubei never thought about a sardine.... I am afraid at this point though my yard appears to be over run with rodents and I cannot even risk at this point of putting my precious Walter in his enclosure during the day as they are so bold. So I am having professionals take care of these pests for me.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
So I called the pest control company and spent $900 to have 10 snap boxes placed in my yard, rebated and monitored for a year. Hopefully this will solve the problem and Walter will be able to enjoy his yard once again in the daytime hours. I think next year I will get a cat.....

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
RuthJanice said:
So I called the pest control company and spent $900 to have 10 snap boxes placed in my yard, rebated and monitored for a year. Hopefully this will solve the problem and Walter will be able to enjoy his yard once again in the daytime hours. I think next year I will get a cat.....

Not all cats will tackle a rat...consider a ferret.

Fearless killers of rodents, extremely playful with people.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9VVa9NahSQ[/video]
[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgEnj1AC2cI[/video]

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
A cat would be great! Let us know how the pest control service works. I have had success doing that myself with a cheaper plastic station. Rebating is ok, but the rats tended to chew the bait down until it was small enough to carry out, so I always had to constantly monitor it to ensure my other animals did not get into any bait carried out by the rats. Within a month, the rats were gone. I had an open field next to my house where they lived. Having to deal with an occasional dead rat was disgusting, but still much preferred to harmed pets.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
RuthJanice said:
I owned a ferret many many years ago - however it never went outside. Dont they run off?

Ours come when called or whistled for, just as our dogs, mini-hawg, and other pets do.

Pretty smart little critters.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Irish: I will let you know how it works. From the way it was explained to me, there is a bated snap trap inside the box. It is not baited with anything lethal except the trap itself. I am glad to hear this method worked for you. My husband will keep an eye on the boxes in between services. I have not seen anything else in my yard except birds.... no vacant lots, etc. I think with these smaller roof rats a cat may do the trick once I have the population down to size. Ferret is a good alternative but not sure how that would work for my household.

Status
Not open for further replies.