Raulf maybe sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, florida
So today I woke up and Raulf seems sick. He was awake but his eyes seemed sealed shut. Like an eye cold. Seemed like there was a bubble over his eye. I soaked him in warm water which made his eye crust soft so he could open his eyes.
He used the bathroom & drank lots of water. I tried to feed him after and he is not interested.
Not sure how he could have gotten a cold. The cage is always kept in the 90s on one and 76 on the other.. With sun from outside and basking light.
Any help on what to do after is helpful.
Thx
-Nikole

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
It's usually at 50 I try n make it better then that but I have a dry house.
Was thinking of buying a humidifier.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
Yeah I know.

Would that be the cause of a cold? If so now that I'm here what do I do to clear it up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Increase the temps in the enclosure. His hot spot should be 100-105 degrees. His cool spot should not be any lower than 85. Continue warm soaks 2-3 times daily since it appears that he may be dehydrated and needs more water in his system. If he continues to not eat, I would add some baby food squash or pumpkin in the soaks. Let us know how that works for him.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Sibi, not to pick on you, but those temps are a little extreme. Basking should never be over 95 for red foots, and the ambient air temperature of the tank should be around 82. The temps sound fine.

What you described usually happens to tortoises eyes when they get cold...Anyway his heat lamps were turned off at night? Usually, the eyes will become what seems like fused shut and bulging out; when this happens, between the eye lids and the eye is filled with water. When you soak them, they open their eyes and if you watch closely, water comes out. I believe this is to keep their eyes warm? I've never heard direct information of anything like this, its just my experience.

Just keep him hydrated (2-3 soaks a day) and warm, and he should be fine. If he doesn't eat tomorrow, baby food soaks would be helpful.

If you see any bubbles coming out of his nose, thats when there is cause to be worried...WATCH VERY CAREFULLY for it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And make sure to bug him and get him up and moving...don't let him sleep himself away....make him work his routine and be sure your temps are good....also, if you are soaking your substrate...be sure you are not soaking the substrate in any part of the enclosure that does not remain 80 degrees or more...wet and cool= ailing tort....

Also, you can try to get him into a fully steamed bathroom and let him do his soaks in that set up a couple of times a day...this will offer up hydration and just feel good on the sensitive eyes...

Also, what is his diet?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
ascott said:
And make sure to bug him and get him up and moving...don't let him sleep himself away....make him work his routine and be sure your temps are good....also, if you are soaking your substrate...be sure you are not soaking the substrate in any part of the enclosure that does not remain 80 degrees or more...wet and cool= ailing tort....

Also, you can try to get him into a fully steamed bathroom and let him do his soaks in that set up a couple of times a day...this will offer up hydration and just feel good on the sensitive eyes...

Also, what is his diet?

Hey, you stole my sauna idea!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.