Raw spot on Sulcata leg.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Today while handling Tiny , my 9 lb Sulcata , I noticed a raw rub spot on the inside of his front leg. Checked the other side and had an identical spot on the other front leg.

After some checking I realized that the 2nd flares of caprice from his head had sharp edges. So I found a steel fingernail file and rounded them off ( he didn't like that one bit )

A Drummel would be more efficient and quicker. But someone borrowed mine ( permanently I guess )

I put a spot of triple antibiotic cream on the rub spots. I'll do that daily for awhile.

Tried to take pics of it , but where they are it's difficult.

Just a warning note - especially if you have a sulcata with sharply flared out caprice. Spots like this can infect and cost a leg.

I should have filed the edges down before it became a problem. Just didn't think of it.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440966718.667770.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440966742.106981.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a tortoise salon maybe?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just wonder, what they are lacking, probably in their enclosure or possibly diet that makes things like this happen? What, if this happened in the wild, what would then happen to them? Infection and lose of leg or death? Or does this not happen because of the terrain they have?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, glad you caught it and shared as a reminder to all, to take a look over of your torts once in a while.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I just wonder, what they are lacking, probably in their enclosure or possibly diet that makes things like this happen? What, if this happened in the wild, what would then happen to them? Infection and lose of leg or death? Or does this not happen because of the terrain they have?
Honestly I wonder if this is a consequence of his former care. Could be. When I got him he was pyramided. With these prominent flares

They have improved. But are still prominent. All Sulcata have flares , but some seem to turn up on the ends. His seem to go straight out.

I have another sulcata about 40 lbs , who has lived outside the last 5 yrs.
his flares are worn & blunted. Probably from the environment

Tiny has lived outside since coming to me these last 8 months. has a burrow
This will undoubtably help wear the edges of his shell.

I'll keep them filed & rounded now for sure.
I can't be the only sully owner to have this issue , unless his shell is unique this way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, I have seen other threads with sore problems, caused by their shell. Don't know if they were all sulcatas though. It does sound like its something that could be prevented with lots of outside time and natural grazing and probably the burrowing helps a lot. Good luck with this one. Hopefully with proper care and a more natural grazing time outside, it will start to take care of itself.