Razors ans dbt"s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Here are some pictures hopefully they are working. Been using this app and its been glitchy

Attachments

• image-4100233171.png
    image-4100233171.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2755598712.png
    image-2755598712.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2467953018.png
    image-2467953018.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • image-2675693346.png
    image-2675693346.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 48

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice pics. Can you post of the whole enclosure. I'm trying to figure out how you have the light shining from the bottom and the turtle or water doesn't get to it. Looks very interesting.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
RE: Razors ans dbt"s

The lights a coil UVB light 35 w it keeps the temps at 88-90 degrees. It's temporary cuz I don't like the gradient it has not very wide. But I do wanna make a above tank basking area and will use a mega ray mvb, probably set that up in the next week or two. For now tho. Just on top

Attachments

• image-3082854598.png
    image-3082854598.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, pic #2 is soooo cute. Kinda like standing tall on top of the world.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.

Thanks everyone, the 2nd picture is one of my favorites. The Dbt loves basking and does not fear me at all. So can get some good basking shots lol. Ill gets few shots today

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

You really shouldn't keep razors with terrapins as they have different water requirements. The razors are fresh water turtles where as the terrapins are brackish water or saltwater depending on ssp and origin. You may have been told or read that keeping them in fresh water is okay. It is just that okay it isn't the best thing for them it can lead to osmotic regulation problems and increased chances of shell and skin rot ( both are types of external infections). Not to mention that dbt's are mulluskivores though they also eat crustaceans and worms. They need hard food like snails and clams in their diet because of heir crushing plates which will generally over grow if not worn down.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

I always think captive breed dbt can live in fresh water. I never see people in my country using brackish water. Any other opinion on this?

And, nice pictures. They are all lovely :)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.

They are going to be kept in freshwater and raised in freshwater, they seem to be doing alright, I was more worried about my razorbacks and swimming but they swim great, way better then people credit them for. I have a wide variety of foods I feed and they seem to eat it all. I'm using pellets as the main food source and mix it up from there.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

Yellow Turtle said:
I always think captive breed dbt can live in fresh water. I never see people in my country using brackish water. Any other opinion on this?

And, nice pictures. They are all lovely :)

They are physiologically adapted to brackish/saltwater. It is kind of like keeping puffer fish (like figure 8s) in fresh water they do okay though captive bred vs wild caught does not matter(in relation to freshwater) nor does it change their physiology.

Millerlite said:
They are going to be kept in freshwater and raised in freshwater, they seem to be doing alright, I was more worried about my razorbacks and swimming but they swim great, way better then people credit them for. I have a wide variety of foods I feed and they seem to eat it all. I'm using pellets as the main food source and mix it up from there.

High protein pellets are a good staple hikari gold Oscar pellets work. Though they still need hard foods. They are prone to dimpling of the carapace which is believed to be related to insufficient protein and possibly environmental factors (lack of UVB and possibly low calcium from being kept in water low in calcium which can be lost to water of lower concentration).

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

Saloli said:
High protein pellets are a good staple hikari gold Oscar pellets work. Though they still need hard foods. They are prone to dimpling of the carapace which is believed to be related to insufficient protein and possibly environmental factors (lack of UVB and possibly low calcium from being kept in water low in calcium which can be lost to water of lower concentration).

So won't it be simpler if we just pour some calcium powder to the water to increase its calcium concentration?

What about spirulina, or other pellet that is usually used to improve fish color? Can they also work for turtle?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

No calcium power won't work by itself it is just one of the salts that are needed (calcium chloride).as far as the algae it could help but then you need to make sure they are getting enough protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.