Rbi radiant heat panels

Shuggs44

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. I'm moving and plan on building my red foot an even bigger enclosure that will be fully enclosed. I've been looking up the radiant heat panels but was curious to know if anyone has any experience with these and what there thoughts are. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, @Tom uses them and I have a couple I use once in a while, but not as much as Tom who could tell you more about them and how to use it.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I use radiant heat panels. I am happy with them. They produce a good amount of heat over a relatively large area for the amount of power they draw. I have purchased items from Reptile Basics but not their radiant heat panels. I have had good experiences with them.

Shuggs44

5 Year Member
I'm currently using a ceramic heat emitter and from my understanding radiant heat panels are much safer than a ceramic heat emitter? Any thoughts on that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have and use a whole bunch of the Reptile Basics RHPs. They work great for my applications and are very reliable. Good company with good customer service too.

They work similarly to the CHEs, but the heat is spread out over a larger area instead of concentrated over one small hot spot. They are not effective as a basking spot unless they are used very close to the tortoise. I like them because they don't desiccate the carapaces of larger tortoises the way CHEs do.

Here are two ways I'm using them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/