RE: Can a Sulcata be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapping

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I see a lot of posts re: Please do not breed anymore Sulcatas. There are too many already.

So my questions is if you have several Sulcatas, is there a way to prevent them from reproducing? Can they be fixed like other animals?

I only have 3 Sulcatas right now, one 6-year-old female and two 3-year-olds. I plan to get more, but I don't want to do so if there is no way to prevent them from breeding or if it means separating them.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Some people destroy the eggs when layed.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I think surgery on any tort is risky at best. Separation on egg destruction would be the best bet I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There isn't a simple spay/neuter surgery for tortoises. I have rescued a few males who have had to have their penis amputated due to prolapse that couldn't be fixed. That surgery is about $200, and anytime you put a tortoise under anesthesia you are taking a VERY big chance. Because they breathe like a bellows, they don't do well when you anesthetize them.

You can always just chop up the eggs in the nest, but then you have caused your female to use up her calcium making eggs for no good reason. The best thing is to have two pastures, a male pasture and a female pasture. Some females will lay eggs whether or not they have been with a male, but most don't.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.