Re-Introducing Sally 4 Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is Sally 4 Legs, She is 6 years old and always the perfect little lady.She has gotten bigger and the pen she lives in makes it harder for me to interact with her as frequently as I used to, and she doesn't see any other tortoises except Walker when he wanders by her pen,She has taken to hiding more and not exercising much, so I am thinking about getting another tortoise about the same size as her.The question is should I get a female or a male? I am not interested in breeding but it would be ok if that happened. Would a male yellowfoot pester her like male sulcatas do to a single female sulcata? I have even thought that a female redfoot might fill her needs. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated, I know not all yellowfoots interact with people as well as Sally. Len

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My male is a bit smaller than my female YF and he pesters her all the time. I don't know if we can speak in generalities on this subject, I only know that it happens with my two (and her also pesters a younger one that I've always thought was male until she laid eggs).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
'Not exercising as much'- this is typical of aging tortoises. This is a low-metabolism species that slows in its growth and activity level as it approaches adulthood. Adult Red- and Yellow-foots generally eat, try to mate (or fight if needed) and sleep between these events.

You could certainly add another tort if you want and have the space- male might 'jazz things up' a bit, but I would probably just reduce the daily calories a bit and not worry about it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Madkins007 said:
'. Adult Red- and Yellow-foots generally eat, try to mate (or fight if needed) and sleep between these events.
Sounds like a typical saturday night for me

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Len, could it be that the temperatures there are approaching/exceeding 90°F? Mine tend to lay around in the hides/vegetation much more during higher temps only coming out to wander in the early morning and late evening or when it is raining. Unless I am outside near the enclosure before 7a or after 7p, I rarely see them.

Maude

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Madkins007 said:
'. Adult Red- and Yellow-foots generally eat, try to mate (or fight if needed) and sleep between these events.
Sounds like a typical saturday night for me

HILARIOUS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.