Reading Forum for awhile, Finally joining

LaurieHoops

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Lots of good information here on the Forum. I have two Red-Footed Tortoises, Alex and Piper, that were hatched in Spring of 2015 by a breeder friend of mine. We have had to transition them to some new living arrangements due to Covid. Usually in the winter (We're in Chicago.) they are in my classroom at school were they have ample room to roam about safely. I am teaching remotely so the tortoise are at home. My son is living in the basement and has taken them into his room for roaming. They have a wooden box, for basking and containment when needed, but it is really too small for them as they have grown quite a lot over the past year. So we are looking at some options. In warm weather they have the full run of our backyard, although I bring them in at night due to many predators in our neighborhood. First, picture on the purple dish (3 months old) then this summer 5.5 years old, they are each the size of the purple dish now. They love flowers in the summer. Does anyone have a good source for fresh flowers in the winter? I've never tried the dried hibiscus for them. I'm guessing they would probably like it as a treat.

august 011.JPGIMG_8138.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Fresh flowers...no.
But have you seen what's available at KapidoloFarms.com ? He has lots of dried items, including some flowers. Will is a member here, and everyone who has tried his products, including me, has liked them.
Well, I guess I should say their tortoises liked them. :D
Some of the items smell so good, I'm tempted to sprinkle some on my cereal! ?

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Hello. I am no redfoot expert, but I do know NOT to feed them pink primrose flowers or jasmine flowers be careful with spinach, too. The oxalates could be dangerous in the long term