Really wanted to love Cypress mulch

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
SO...since I was trying to save some money on orchid bark for my tortoises, I decided to try cypress mulch with a layer of Reptibark to cover. The price would have been great, but the amount of extra bugs I have gotten has been crazy. I had the regular springtails and a few gnats in the warmer months with the Reptibark, but since having the cypress mulch the gnats have been out of control, and there have also been what I think are cypress beetles ( a TON ?). I know keeping tortoises means bugs too, but I think I will just switch back to the Reptibark. Anyone else find they have more bugs with cypress mulch?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
i tried cypress mulch years ago...didn't care much for it because some of it would mold. I dont think I ever had bugs though.

She had reptibark before I received her, and it was infested with springtails, but I think that was because literally no one thought about changing her substrate, ever.

I have coco coir now....I do have a bunch of gnats (which is new...never had them before) but I figure it was from my outside environment, like from a recent plant I brought back from a greenhouse.

The beetles sound interesting...when did you change your substrate last?

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nagh, not really. Ive been using Lowes Cypress mulch for years now and never one issue. I bought three or four bags a year or so ago - all good. Just using my last bag up now. I really don’t think it’s the cypress - there’s really nothing there for bugs to eat.

Put your bag outside in this freezing weather.....i wouldnt give up.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
i tried cypress mulch years ago...didn't care much for it because some of it would mold. I dont think I ever had bugs though.

She had reptibark before I received her, and it was infested with springtails, but I think that was because literally no one thought about changing her substrate, ever.

I have coco coir now....I do have a bunch of gnats (which is new...never had them before) but I figure it was either from my outside environment, like from a recent plant I brought back from a greenhouse.

The beetles sound interesting...when did you change your substrate last?
Earlier this month sadly.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Nagh, not really. Ive been using Lowes Cypress mulch for years now and never one issue. I bought three or four bags a year or so ago - all good. Just using my last bag up now. I really don’t think it’s the cypress - there’s really nothing there for bugs to eat.

Put your bag outside in this freezing weather.....i wouldnt give up.
I got mine from Lowes as well. Maybe I just got a not great batch. I was reading that cypress beetles eat the bark, but I am not sure if that is true or if they are actually cypress beetles. I will have to get a picture.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Correction, I think they are weevils, possibly cypress weevils. Couldn’t get a good picture.

Attachments

• 50FAE103-E589-4151-913E-96A71249B0ED.jpeg
    50FAE103-E589-4151-913E-96A71249B0ED.jpeg
    971.4 KB · Views: 12

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe try southern state store off midlothian turnpike. I hate bugs?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Maybe try southern state store off midlothian turnpike. I hate bugs?
Me too! I haven’t even had this substrate a full month. I’m not going to make it ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
They keep some mulch in the store but that is where I got the chick and hens. No bugs