Really worried, LARGE stone stuck in anus - Horsefield 2.5yo

rzrzrzr

Location (City and/or State)
Ely, England
Hey all,

I have done my searching through the forums (nearly obsessively). We've had nice warm weather in the UK, so our 2.5yo horsefield has been sleeping and digging in his outdoor enclosure for the first time. We left him out there for 3 days, 2 nights. A couple of nights ago we felt like it was getting too cold, so brought him in.

Last night after his soaking I saw that his tail was really swollen and he was straining to push like we've never seen him do before - back legs stretched with bum in the air. He looks really uncomfortable. We could see that he has a white solid blockage. With a little oil on a q-tip I was able to move with stone slightly and he was able to clear some liquid blockage behind it and was a lot happier, but the stone is still there. We read up as much as we could, ordered a microwave heating pad to put under his soaking bowl (he's so little that the water is shallow, and gets cold really quickly), I've also ordered some 100% mineral oil to put on his food, it arrives tomorrow.

I did the same thing today, by really gently pushing the stone to one side and he was able to get rid of a lot of liquidy white substrate - and some gas, blimey that smelt bad. I also managed to get a tiny drop of oil into the canal, to try and lube up the poor guy. The stone is sharp and must be hurting a lot. It's massive, I thought the tail was really swollen, but actually most of the size seemed to be the stone. I can't imagine he's going to be able to get it out on his own, even with help from some oil.

z7WniyE.jpg
[/IMG]

We will be taking him to the reptile vet on Monday (in about 36 hours). Is there anything else I can try? Or anything I can do to ease his pain a bit before then?

Thanks for your help. Sorry I know this is a repeat post, but I'm just desperate for anything else I can do for him.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-05-12 at 20.24.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-05-12 at 20.24.56.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 77

rzrzrzr

Ely, England
Oh, I should say - we have no idea if it's a he or a she.

We know now this is dehydration, I've never seen him drink water (we give him a clean dish everyday away), but I try and give him a leaf of some watery lettuce everyday, alongside his other food, just so he gets something down him. We also were soaking him 3 times a week, as we were advised, but clearly that wasn't enough.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh wow never seen that. I imagine lots of very warm soaks and continue to use a q-tip to work away at it with oil. Is the warm water softening it at all?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those urate stones are pretty soft. Being very careful of the tortoise's tissue, take something hard, like a dental pic, and just break up the stone. These form when the tortoise isn't hydrated. You can also try expressing it by placing your fingers on either side of the cloaca (vent), as far behind the stone as you can, and gently press (like popping a pimple).

rzrzrzr

Ely, England
Hello, just an update.

I followed Yvonne's advice and over last night and this morning managed to clear the blockage. I feel pretty traumatized, but Leo is much happier!
It was enormous, there's no way he would have got it out on his own.
This is about a third of the stone...

Screenshot 2018-05-14 22.32.19.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, so glad you got it out. That's a lot of stuff. Warm water soaks twice a day for a week then down too once a day for about a month. If he is under 2 then continue daily until he is 2. If he's older then two and with this known problem of not seeing him drink I would soak once a week. Also soak in a large area where he can move a lot and get things moving along. The white urates should be like tooth paste smooth, not gritty.
Congrats to you for sticking with it. Good job.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh ouch poor guy! Has he passed anymore on his own? Lots of soaks and water until you’re sure he’s passing normal urates. Also if he’s not a drinker on his own maybe continue soaking to prevent this in the future!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello, just an update.

I followed Yvonne's advice and over last night and this morning managed to clear the blockage. I feel pretty traumatized, but Leo is much happier!

View attachment 238541
Geez! Poor little tortoise. From the picture, this looks like a captive bred, not wild caught, tortoise. Please be sure to soak this tortoise daily for 15 or 20 minutes. They don't like it, but, as you've found out, it's quite necessary!

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
If your little guy doesn't like soaking- mine didn't at first either, but I did the following until now he enjoys it/gets antsy if I don't soak him:
  • First thing in the morning: I soak mine first thing when I wake up. He's not super active because he's still in "rest mode". Usually he poops in 30-40 minutes (mostly because he sleeps in the water for the first 15, then drinks and lounges for the next haha)
  • Keep using that heat source for soaks. I use a bulb instead of a pad, just because it helps him mimic basking behavior. Just make sure At first I had to change the water every 10-12 minutes to keep it at optimal temperature, which can upset the torts being moved so much. After awhile, I put a low wattage (50 or 75) basking spot bulb over the bath (same height as basking, so that the shell height temperature is about 100 degrees), and that prevents me from having to change the water an excessive number of times (until he poops, that is). I like the light source from above because he relaxes as if he's basking. (water up to where the bottom of the shell {plastron} meets the top {carapace}, so if the tort does fall asleep, there's no risk of drowning or anything)
  • The pictures make it hard to tell but how long/heavy is your tortoise? Nevertheless, I think it would benefit greatly from daily soaks. Expect it to pass fairly gritty urates for a time until he gets adequately hydrated again. Eventually the urates will be gooey/liquidy, or go away entirely.
Mine is still less than a year old, and went through the same thing regarding stones and blockages. I'm still soaking daily and with great results. Hoping this issue is eliminated soon!

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Holy hell! Nice work clearing that blockage! That is a satisfying picture lol! It reminds me of Dr. Pimple Popper MD :D

rzrzrzr

Ely, England
Hello again, sorry for the slow reply - I didn't have my notifications turned on.

An update on Leo. He is a much happier tortoise - he's been eating a small stem of Aloe Vera everyday alongside his normal food and a soak every morning and evening - he still doesn't like it much, but we are about to move house and plan on making him a small water park (basically have some things to hide under and explore) when we have some more room.

I know how much you like tortoise poo photos here, and as it feels like it's the only thing my partner and I have been exchanging photos of since this happened, so I thought I'd share some :confused:

The only thing we are now concerned about is that his cloaca is still pretty stretched out - this seems to mean he can't push the poo out until another one is on the way. Is there anything we can do to help his cloaca go back to normal?

Thank you all - I wouldn't have had the guts to break that stone down without you, and he was so much happier straight away.

Screenshot 2018-05-23 00.05.54.png Screenshot 2018-05-23 00.05.40.png F172D558-D82C-413C-A8B0-D92EC1582A4F.jpg 7FEDF5D3-3639-4515-8D8B-FB610EC9B743.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello, just an update.

View attachment 238541

Good job!!!!! Hey, you can also try to hydrate from within....high water content food will aid in moving things along....romaine, red and green leaf lettuces....

Kasia

Poland
Hello again, sorry for the slow reply - I didn't have my notifications turned on.

An update on Leo. He is a much happier tortoise - he's been eating a small stem of Aloe Vera everyday alongside his normal food and a soak every morning and evening - he still doesn't like it much, but we are about to move house and plan on making him a small water park (basically have some things to hide under and explore) when we have some more room.

I know how much you like tortoise poo photos here, and as it feels like it's the only thing my partner and I have been exchanging photos of since this happened, so I thought I'd share some :confused:

The only thing we are now concerned about is that his cloaca is still pretty stretched out - this seems to mean he can't push the poo out until another one is on the way. Is there anything we can do to help his cloaca go back to normal?

Thank you all - I wouldn't have had the guts to break that stone down without you, and he was so much happier straight away.

View attachment 239478 View attachment 239479 View attachment 239480 View attachment 239481
Hi
I would wash that butt under a stream of water, if it’s not healing then maybe it needs a stitch or two. Please take a close look at it. Maybe it needs Vet’s attention (it looks like it). I keep my fingers crossed for you both.

rzrzrzr

Ely, England
Hello again,

I want to keep updating this thread just in case it helps someone else.

I have cleaned him out and I've applied some hemorrhoid cream. I am quite concerned about the dark area around his cloaca.. it looks like necrosis to me and that is really worrying. I'll be taking him to the vet next week.

Other than that he's a happy, stomping, eating, pooping tortoise.

IMG_1954.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Hello again,

I want to keep updating this thread just in case it helps someone else.

I have cleaned him out and I've applied some hemorrhoid cream. I am quite concerned about the dark area around his cloaca.. it looks like necrosis to me and that is really worrying. I'll be taking him to the vet next week.

Other than that he's a happy, stomping, eating, pooping tortoise.

View attachment 239756

Not to be gross but could it be poop stain? Necrosis is much darker usually and smells horrible.....it’s dying rotten flesh and you’d smell it immediately

rzrzrzr

Ely, England
I don't think it's poop stain, but I'd be happy if it was. I guess it should be a reaction to the skin being stretched? He's sleeping now after being poked and prodded enough today. I will check again tomorrow morning!

Thanks Danielle :)

Screenshot 2018-05-25 22.29.43.png

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
The dirt probably isn't going to help matters. Can you rig up a hospital tub for a few days? Still has to have heat but newspaper may be healthier on his tail...