Reasons NOT to Get a Caiman or other Crocidillian

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
My crazy brother is talking about getting a hatchling "dwarf" Caiman as a pet from an online breeder.

As much as I have tried to convince him that it is a TERRIBLE idea, not to mention probably illegal, he thinks it will be fun and exciting.

He has limited reptile experience, lives in Michigan (so would need to house animal indoors), works a lot and has a habit of getting really interested and involved in a hobby then totally ditching it and moving on to the next thing.

he is also stubborn and hard headed to the point that he would do this just because I told him it is a bad idea.

PLEASE any help/links/resources would be appreciated. If I can get him to look at information from experts it might convince him not to get it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my first question would be do dwarfs exist or is it just a marketing ploy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My crazy brother is talking about getting a hatchling "dwarf" Caiman as a pet from an online breeder.

As much as I have tried to convince him that it is a TERRIBLE idea, not to mention probably illegal, he thinks it will be fun and exciting.

He has limited reptile experience, lives in Michigan (so would need to house animal indoors), works a lot and has a habit of getting really interested and involved in a hobby then totally ditching it and moving on to the next thing.

he is also stubborn and hard headed to the point that he would do this just because I told him it is a bad idea.

PLEASE any help/links/resources would be appreciated. If I can get him to look at information from experts it might convince him not to get it.

My question is: Does your brother have any crocodilian experience? Is he the kind of guy that will be responsible, house it correctly and meet its needs?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In Michigan, does he have a very large house with an indoor pond or pool? Otherwise, besides illegal in Michigan, it's pretty cruel if he can't house him properly in the winter months when it's an adult with room to roam and swim. Besides most end up being let go, cuz the idiots that get them don't have the room once it does get big. Now if it's really a dwarf, and not just starved to stay small, then is small enough as an adult it could possibly work. I would have one in a heart beat if I could give it a winter pool. Just tell him to do his research and if you see it being neglected, that you will turn him in. Yes I would turn in a family member if they abused or neglected an animal. Of course after a few warnings from me first to do it right.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
My question is: Does your brother have any crocodilian experience? Is he the kind of guy that will be responsible, house it correctly and meet its needs?

None at all. He loves animals and takes great care of his dog (another reason not to get a carnivorous reptile) and I think he might be committed to doing everything properly, but not for the 30+ years that a crocodile can live.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I think I may need to do more of a "scared straight" approach with horror stories of keepers (and family/friends/neighbors) getting bit or losing a pet.

He has no pool, but he claims he can arrange a setup in the basement..... I am very skeptical.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Hey, Happy New Year! :)

Although it's not impossible, it would require so much adaptation & research & sacrifice, that it's almost certainly not worth keeping a reptile like that unless you own a ranch or compound.

I have seen them kept here in the UK (requires a Dangerous Wild Animal license) but all adaptations are thoroughly checked beforehand. Doing it without those checks & illegally could end in disaster (especially for the dog!).

One of the reasons we have those checks in place for larger exotic animals is so that in the event of an emergency, a thoroughly planned response can take place. Usually law enforcement agencies will visit the property & agree on a plan of action should the animal attack.

My employer's founded the local Reptile Society here in Northern England, and the members will sometimes come in & chat (for hours usually!) & I have heard some success stories but my Dad has also kept large exotic birds & primates and the adaptations required in my opinion take away all the fun of owning a dangerous animal.

Without those protection, I would be nervous.
Alas, this elderly gentleman here in England made it possible by sleeping in his loft & allowing the animal free roam of his home.
Maybe suggest an alternative exotic pet instead? ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eps-7ft-crocodile-detached-bungalow-Kent.html

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I think I may need to do more of a "scared straight" approach with horror stories of keepers (and family/friends/neighbors) getting bit or losing a pet.

He has no pool, but he claims he can arrange a setup in the basement..... I am very skeptical.

Well I've dealt with crocodilians quite a bit, and anything other than a baby is just not practical as a pet type of thing. The one's I've worked with are part of large animal menageries that are for hire for the film industry. They are all permitted and professionally housed and handled. Because of this fact, I don't have any horror stories to share. I've only ever seen it done right, as most people have enough sense to not bring a large aggressive reptile into their home. Having said that, it can be done and done well. I just question the why? There are so many other cool reptiles that would be easier to deal with and not so dangerous. Its like people who get Nile monitors. Why? You'll usually have a much easier time with a water monitor and its the same sort of enclosure set up.

Maybe @DeanS does? How about @cdmay ?

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've kept Cuban crocs...and they are nothing short of EVIL...from hatchling on! they are lightning fast...and practically fly at their quarry. I also kept an alligator that I raised from a hatchling to six years. At seven feet and damn near 200 pounds, he was EASY to handle and not in the least bit aggressive~

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've kept Cuban crocs...and they are nothing short of EVIL...from hatchling on! they are lightning fast...and practically fly at their quarry. I also kept an alligator that I raised from a hatchling to six years. At seven feet and damn near 200 pounds, he was EASY to handle and not in the least bit aggressive~
I kep caimans back in the 70s to feed my anacondas...but they were like $20 at the local pet shops.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

Your brother is right...it will be exciting! And he will get bitten...several times. Caiman, no matter what species, are plain nasty! NOT RECOMMENDED!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I guess the best reason not to is if they are illegal in your state it won't be any fun keeping it. Can't show it off, 1 nosy neighbor you know the drill

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Well I've dealt with crocodilians quite a bit, and anything other than a baby is just not practical as a pet type of thing. The one's I've worked with are part of large animal menageries that are for hire for the film industry. They are all permitted and professionally housed and handled. Because of this fact, I don't have any horror stories to share. I've only ever seen it done right, as most people have enough sense to not bring a large aggressive reptile into their home. Having said that, it can be done and done well. I just question the why? There are so many other cool reptiles that would be easier to deal with and not so dangerous. Its like people who get Nile monitors. Why? You'll usually have a much easier time with a water monitor and its the same sort of enclosure set up.

Maybe @DeanS does? How about @cdmay ?

Thanks Tom, I agree one hundred percent. If you can't do it correctly, do not do it at all. Leave the apex predators to the apex keepers, and get a chameleon......

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yeah, what the heck..... Not helping my case at all..... @N2TORTS probably has some awesome albino or morph varieties too.....
Yes the " Cuvier's dwarf caiman (Paleosuchus palpebrosus) " is one handsome Herp when young.....but to be honest - crocodilians are definitely not suitable for beginners, and they are not recommended even for intermediate-level hobbyists, especially if your brother wants to try and keep the specimen indoors. Crocodilians should only be considered by very experienced individuals who have the resources and soon after... large demanding reptiles that are difficult to house, difficult to handle, and increasingly expensive to keep....Small juvenile crocodilians are deceptive - they seem easy enough to handle, but have a very nasty bite, that most times becomes infected. As they grow larger, crocodilians rapidly become stronger and even more boisterous. I have owned a few with the first one back in 1973. Yes the pictured animal was mine , but due to other projects -was sold off. They are also mostly nocturnal , so much of the viewing/interaction takes place at night....(sorta a drag -unless your a night owl) ;)