Recent Heavy Rain

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We got dumped on yesterday with about 7 inches of rain. One of the female sulcastas has been working on a burrow since she arrived on Monday and now it's blocked off. Yesterday the whole yard had standing water, some places was 3 to 4 inches deep.Her burrow was completely under water. this is a pic taken this morning,Picture 066.jpgThis is what I did to the entrance,Picture 067.jpg There is a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under these boards This wash tub was empty yesterday morning,Picture 068.jpg I'm worried that all the box turtle eggs in the ground may be ruined from the standing water for so long. Some of those eggs should have started hatching this week, It usually takes about 7 weeks and this is week 6. Other than the standing water and a few closed roads no other damage here. How did everyone else fair with all the rain ? We have sunshine this morning but supposed to have more rain off and on all week.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Len...we had a ton of rain up this way as well. We had one old/rotten tree break at the base and half fall down in our back garden. No damage, but more yard work.

Hope all your eggs there are ok, maybe the water will drain quickly and all be ok.

Yes, more rain here rest of the week.

Our Sully is half out already this morning checking his muddy, grassy area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that's a lot at once. Hope the eggs make it. Maybe you could dig them up once the water goes down so the next rains don't do them in.
Lucky your sully wasn't done deep in that burrow.

daniellenc

Maryland
My poor guy was inside ALL day. Just too much rain. I’m lucky my backyard is on top of a hill but at this point my back yard has a rain made mote. No damage here but rock creek flooded around here. It will get worse as the week goes on and unfortunately Skurt will be indoors until the weather clears.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s the dead tree that decided to half fall down during the rain and wind yesterday. We had trimmed/killed the ivy earlier this Spring since it was taking over the canopies n trunks of our trees.

7372C4D7-727A-4D72-99CB-6A75CF7050D1.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My poor guy was inside ALL day. Just too much rain. I’m lucky my backyard is on top of a hill but at this point my back yard has a rain made mote. No damage here but rock creek flooded around here. It will get worse as the week goes on and unfortunately Skurt will be indoors until the weather clears.
My house is up on a hill too, but here in Central California, rain/flooding is not something we worry about.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Everyone affected by this rain and wind...my heart goes out to you. Like Yvonne said, no rain here, but the wind gets us. Having just lost 5 trees to wind, I know how upsetting these things can be.
Sorry for all your troubles! [emoji30]

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow that's a lot at once. Hope the eggs make it. Maybe you could dig them up once the water goes down so the next rains don't do them in.
Lucky your sully wasn't done deep in that burrow.
I'm not sure where the nest are, I know when they started laying by all the test holes which they just abandon to try someplace else. The water went down over night but the yard was a pond for over 12 hours. The adult box turtles loved it. There were 2 females in the burrow Friday night but came out when the water started rising Saturday morning.

daniellenc

Maryland
And the torrential rains are back......soaked but all plants have been moved back to safety.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Yikes.....we have had even more heavy rain as well. Poor Walker. Is he in his house putting on fins and goggles? Snorkel too?
Actually I hadn't seen him fir 2 days so I just went out and do what I do to make him come out and he is out looking just fine and having a little fling with Alex at the moment.

Len B

10 Year Member!
My goodness...not the best last few days for you. I'm so sorry you're getting hit all at once with troubles. [emoji26]
There is still a lot of good in my life, at least I'm not battling fire ants and no fallen trees (yet) with as wet as the ground is I'm not counting fallen trees out in the future.

daniellenc

Maryland
Your yard looks like my entire neighborhood lol. No damage though but I’m feeling bad my guy is cooped up.

daniellenc

Maryland
We’ve had rain on and off all day but not like Saturday and Sunday. Looks like evening storms tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday with less rain Thursday and Friday; but more this weekend. I almost wish I had a sulcata lol poor Skurt would drown out there.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Your yard looks like my entire neighborhood lol. No damage though but I’m feeling bad my guy is cooped up.
How do you have Skurt cooped up? In the house? Chug was going nuts in the bathtub, so I have let him loose in the kitchen but only while I can supervise. He found a spot and went to sleep.