1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Recent move to Costa Blanca Spain

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mileerdee, Feb 20, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Uk
    Hi folk, I need inspiration for a new tort enclosure. We have just moved to the Costa Blanca Spain & I need to house Penny ( Princess Penelope Pickle Bottom, to her adoring fans ;) ) She is a 2.5 year old Horsefield Tort, bread & hatched by my friend back in Lincolnshire UK. She has been chipped & vet checked etc.
    In the UK she had a Vivarium with heat lamp etc, ( I know, vivariums are not recommended, but it suited us & because if it she is extremely tame & nosey)
    Here she should be able to be outside, but the soil in the garden:)read olive/almond grove) is very soft from farming.
    What have other people done? Achieved? in similar situations please.
    Sorry for the long post & Hi
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi, and welcome!

I doubt the soft soil would make a difference, but you can tamp it down. Take a piece of plank, maybe a 1x12, and tie a rope at either end. then holding the ropes in your hands, walk all around the enclosure and stomp on the board to tamp down the dirt. Or you can just plant some clover, purslane, plantain, pansies, etc then rake the ground smooth and eventually the motion of the earth, the rain, etc. will make the ground easier to walk on.
  3. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

4. Mileerdee

Mileerdee New Member

Uk
    Thank you! Something to think about for sure. The old guy who was looking after the property has had someone turn over the soil twice a year & when you walk it, you can go ankle deep in soft soil sometimes