Recently adopted Redfoot and Yellowfoot. Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joiner

5 Year Member
About two weeks ago, the opportunity to adopt a pair of tortoises came up. A friend, who knew of our passion for turtles and tortoises forwarded us a link to the local SPCA shelter. Upon looking, we discovered what looked like a pair of young redfoots, from the picture. What was more shocking was that most of the people commenting on the picture was recommending that they release them into the wild. Well we discussed it and decided that tomorrow one of us will go and check them out. Well it is a good thing we went. The lovely people, bless their hearts, did not know either what they had nor how to care for them. But in all honestly, I don't think any sort of turtle or tortoise has ever come into their care, as they mostly deal with dogs and cats. But apparently they had an animal hoarder turn in a wide assortment of exotic animals, birds and such. What they had listed as a pair of Male Russian tortoises actually appeared to be a female Redfoot and a female Yellowfoot. Needless to say they came home with us and the amazing team at the SPCA seemed more then happy that they went home to someone who was somewhat knowledgeable.
(We currently had one hatchling Leopard tortoise, Rorschach or Rory for short, two Eastern Box Turtles, Lucy and Ethel and one very outgoing Home's Hingeback who is the clown of our family, Bowie, after the rock god David Bowie :))
Unfortunately these two girls, latter named Saffron and Jensen, have some health problems. Firstly, they had already developed pyramiding. Secondly, they both had some respiratory issue. Immediately they were put in a hospital tank with heat between 85 to 90 and humidity between 70 and 80. Soaking was done daily with bird multivitamins. They got onto a diet formulated for redfoots and yellowfoots after some research. These girls have a great appetite. I am happy to report the respiratory issues have almost disappeared.
We do however have a few lingering questions, being new to these species. The energy of the Yellowfoot is rather lacking when compared to Jensen the Redfoot. She is shy and reluctant, as I have learned her species is. But what is more worrying is their stance when they walk. They seem to wobble, though that seems to be better. We are unsure if this is due to lack of movement prior to us acquiring them, or if it has more to do with prior diet, which we can only speculate. Either way, I want these two to thrive and I was wondering if any advice could be given.
As well they do seem to have some gnarly looking toenails. In all honesty, I have no experience trimming nails, other then wrestling my Boxer to attempt to trim his.
Again any help would be more then appreciated. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Joiner:

First of all, I'd like to see pictures of both of them.

The walking problem may just be because the previous keeper had them in a small aquarium and they didn't get any exercise. But it also might be a Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) problem. Be sure to feed calcium-rich foods. Too much calcium won't harm the tortoises.

Good luck! And great save!!!

Joiner

5 Year Member
Sorry, had to get my pictures from my tablet to my computer. Fingers crossed, it works.IMG_20120925_175224.jpgIMG_20120925_175339.jpgIMG_20120928_175021.jpgIMG_20120928_175126.jpgIMG_20120928_175139.jpgIMG_20120928_175202.jpgIMG_20120928_175202.jpgIMG_20120928_175256.jpgIMG_20120928_175314.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. Not sure that one is a yellow-footed tortoise- it could just be a yellow-phased red-footed. There are some tips for telling them apart here: https://sites.google.com/site/torto...orest/chelonoidis/red-footed--natural-history

2. Toes and beak on at least one of them. How steady and comfortable are you with nail trimmers and/or Dremel tools? If you have an experienced keeper around or a vet with at least an interest in reptiles, you can ask them to help. You can control and somewhat mediate the overgrowth by changing the substrate and feeding surfaces.

3. Wobbling walk is sometimes a really bad sign, but if it is getting better, then just monitor it.

4. As you care for them, prioritize things. The respiratory infection is the BIG THING. The overgrown beak is probably next. The soft shell and much of the other stuff will self-remedy as you offer them the better life. Try to give them as much 'alone time' as you can so they can get used to the new home and routine. This is hard when they are ill or in trouble, but it helps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Mark, I don't see a YF tortoise in those pictures.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Here are some better pictures of the little girl, hopefully. Thanks though for the wonderful advice already.

IMG_1656.jpg
IMG_1657.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg
IMG_1659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If it was not for the scale pattern on the top of the head (which is very variable), I would definitely call it a yellowish red-footed. These are often from Colombia. Can we see a shot of the plastron?

Joiner

5 Year Member
First is the one with yellow markings on her leg, second is the one with red markings.

Had to use two replies with my iPhone because it names all the images the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 82

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Both seem to be red-footeds by any standards I know. With the similarity in plastron coloration and pattern, they are also both from the same region- wherever that might be. Leg scale color alone is not the key difference, oddly enough when you consider the names! Red-footeds can have yellow scales, but yellow-footeds almost never have red.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
I have to agree that they both look like reds, the less obvious one is probably a local variant from their natural range. There seem to be a lot of different colour differences with reds with some having yellow features instead of the red they are named after.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I'm going to agree with everyone else looks like two red foots here is a link to a great thread

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14270.html

Now look at the pictures and have your torts beside your monitor :p jk good luck with getting them healthy.

Also side question where are you located? Just curious about your spca I believe the one near me they just tend to rehome there exotics(snakes, lizards, torts, turtles) to reptile stores and public doesn't really get an option to adopt just purchase from stores when healthy

Joiner

5 Year Member
I live in Delaware. I don't think our local shelters usually come across exotic animals, so I don't know what they do typically. But i'm glad we found them.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The walking problem could be a multitude of things. For one, lack of protein in a diet is known to cause hind-leg paralysis. MBD would be another possibility. Lack of excercise yet another. Uncomfort from toe-nails another.....So correct all of them :). Fix the diet, add weekly animal protein, and get them outdoors a lot for excersice.

Definitely two red foots. A solution to the nails (without a dremel) would be to put a concrete paver in the way of a high traffic area. In front of a favored hide, for example. After walking across it enough, it usually wears them down pretty well.

Any help you need feel free to pm me. Best of luck :).

Status
Not open for further replies.